Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently changed the right front axle, and have started noticing a slight vibration and low frequency noise when the car is in gear, but not moving (ie. foot on the brake). If I put it in neutral, the noise goes away. I haven't noticed it when in motion.

The axle was aftermarket, and I've seen a few threads suggesting common problems with aftermarket because of the tight tolerances on the joints. Does the sound I'm describing sound like it might be coming from the axle, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,575 Posts
sounds like the classic 'rebuilt axle' complaint.

I suppose you should confirm the stub is fully seated in the diff. Can't really think of anything else that fits the symptom.

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
If you just replaced the axle and the noise is new, and you're confident you installed it correctly (you probably did, it's a common sense job) then your choice of aftermarket axle is likely biting your butt.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it was a pretty straight forward job, so I'm thinking it was probably the part. Thanks for the confirmation...

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That was my first thought too... I put in back on stands and checked, and it seemed like a good fit to me.

Funny thing with this car, some aftermarket stuff works just fine, and other parts seem to always have issues. Glad this forum exists!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,575 Posts
If you still have your old axle, many people recommend rebuilding them, or use it as a core to send into MWE - they only rebuild soob axles and are well respected.

I have had good experience with EMPI axles from RockAuto. They are new and properly case hardened. Inexpensive too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts