Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I just bought a rather ragged (salt car) 2006 OBXT and the brakes are really rusty, so I want to replace them.
My buddy/mechanic was telling me I should look for some 2004 STI Brembo brakes, which I have some eBay alerts set up for.
In my research, I'm seeing a lot of folks saying that Legacy GT brakes are pretty darn good and comparable to the Brembos.
I am willing to pay $1,800 or so for some good used Brembo's but is there any options that offer similar performance for a similar price
What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is needed for me to switch my stock OBXT brakes for Legacy GT brakes?
Lots more options for upgrades for LGT brakes. Are the brackets different? Do I need a different master cylinder? Parking brake, etc?

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
597 Posts
Honestly, for the cost, just do oem rotors, new fluid, aggressive pads (which will be noisy), and a master cylinder brace. The brakes will still be subpar, but you’ll have a better improvement for way less cost than anything short of sti sized calipers. The master cylinder really is undersized in the xt. So unless you’re putting a larger diameter mc, everything else is low hanging fruit and too much money for the benefit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, for the cost, just do oem rotors, new fluid, aggressive pads (which will be noisy), and a master cylinder brace. The brakes will still be subpar, but you’ll have a better improvement for way less cost than anything short of sti sized calipers. The master cylinder really is undersized in the xt. So unless you’re putting a larger diameter mc, everything else is low hanging fruit and too much money for the benefit.
I just looked on Rock Auto and the GT and XT have the same part numbers for the master cylinder.
Ken at KNS Brakes does have OEM 4 piston front calipers for sale (and 2 piston rears) for sale for not too crazy money.
Just looking for something not sub par. I realize that wagons are probably always going to be like boats but is there a way to make them less boat-like?
What brakes are you running in your '05?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind. Those OEM calipers that I listed in the above post use the later bolt pattern rotors (2006-2007 wrx). I won't be able to use them.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
597 Posts
I just looked on Rock Auto and the GT and XT have the same part numbers for the master cylinder.
Ken at KNS Brakes does have OEM 4 piston front calipers for sale (and 2 piston rears) for sale for not too crazy money.
Just looking for something not sub par. I realize that wagons are probably always going to be like boats but is there a way to make them less boat-like?
What brakes are you running in your '05?
Oem rotors, carbotech uprated pads, healthy stock calipers and fluid, and mc brace.
What do mean ‘boat-like’? Is the car diving? If so, that sounds like suspension.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just pony'd up for some used 2004 Brembo's from the 'bay. After brakes I'm planning put some Feal coilovers on the car. I'm sure that will help with the 'boat' feel. :)
Was going to go with OEM but when I added it all up, it wasn't a whole lot cheaper than the Brembo set I just scored. Will do the MC brace at the same time I put on the new brakes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now, do I need to replace the master cylinder at the same time I put my brakes on?
And what other things might I need? I'm going to order a set of stainless steel lines, but do I need any other hard lines or anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need any of these as well?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean
57 Posts
Be prepared to replace some hard lines if any connections are seized and/or rusted.

Let me know how the Brembo brake upgrade goes! I’m very interested since I do not like the feel of my brakes.

I replaced my rotors and pads with stoptech parts, including the drilled and slotted rotors. I also upgraded to stainless steel brake lines.

The brakes still feel very mushy.

I still need to replace my calipers since when I tore them apart a year ago, I saw that the guide pins had seized. I was able to clean them out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT MT / 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
53 Posts
Here is what I needed for my Legacy GT brake swap on my 2005
QtyPart NumberItem DescriptionTotal with Tax
1.002 Pack Disc Brake Quiet, .14 oz
$3.22​
1.0019-B3349Bracketed Brake Caliper, Front, Driver side, 14 lbs
$135.75​
1.0019-B3348Bracketed Brake Caliper, Front, Passenger side, 14 lbs
$135.75​
1.0019-B3105Bracketed Brake Caliper, Rear, Driver side, 6.5 lbs
$72.18​
1.0019-B3104Bracketed Brake Caliper, Rear, Passenger side, 6.5 lbs
$72.18​
2.0044322Brake 290mm Rotor, Rear
$86.18​
2.0044321Brake 316mm Rotor, Front
$86.18​
2.00Brake Lubricant, .14 oz
$2.22​
1.00DG1078Gold Ceramic Front Brake Pads, 5 lbs
$32.31​
1.00MKD770Semi-Metallic Rear Disc Brake Pads
$23.69​
1.001 Gallon DOT 3 Brake Fluid
$26.93​
2.00Brake Cleaner, 14 Oz.
$4.99​

I also replaced the pedal pad since mine was worn, but that's not required.
I don't know if the stopping distance is any better as I didn't test it, but the brake feel is much improved as is the ability to modulate the brakes accurately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be prepared to replace some hard lines if any connections are seized and/or rusted.
Yeah, this does worry me a little. My buddy used to be a master technician at Subaru and had a Legacy GT with this swap, so I know we'll be able to get it sorted out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How do I tell if my car has VDC? The master cylinder link above (the grimmspeed one) says this is for non-vdc cars.
It's my understanding that VDC came on Outbacks starting in 2007 so my 2006 shouldn't have it right?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT MT / 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
53 Posts
You would have a VDC Off button someplace on the dash.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, after talking to Ken at KNS I've gotten a pretty good path forward with the Brembos. When I get them in my hands I'll be able to determine if the rotors that came with the set are good enough to use. Found out that I can use 2004 STI rear rotors but need an 'adapter shoe' for the parking brake, which is essentially a thick shoe that takes up some of the gap and allows you to use the stock GT/OBXT parking brake.
And thanks @Sub4Fun. Pretty sure I don't have this option. Will check later today when I get back to my buddy's shop to drop off the TGV's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts