Subaru Outback Forums banner

:::2006 Obxt Is In My Stable:::

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  forestir 
#1 ·
Just received my new 2006 white w/putty leather OBXT yesterday. Traded my infamous VW GTI 1.8T 5M...German - uh... never again...

Wow what a car -- breaking it in correctly is hard - eh? Trying to keep this beast within the speed limits is equally trying. Can't wait for the next 500 miles, then I can knock on the door of some unsuspecting BMW sedan and unleash her fury on the Beemer.

I am very impressed with the fit n finish. The dealer was perfect to work with.

I'm into gaining the most miles per gallon with many sprints to the top of the rev range allowable in time -- but mostly will cover many miles o' ground hauling my musical gear all over the country...(next weekend is St Louis.)

Any tools/tricks I should know to squeeze some more mileage outta my Subie.?

I drove it home several hundred miles yesterday in mixed rpm and mph ranges and averaged 22-24 mpg between 62 mph & 82 mph.

Is that "good" or respectible - or should it be better - knowing it's a brand new mill.

I'm all ears - -and happy to be a part of this ever growing motoring cult.

Blessings:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your new car. 22-24 is in the right ballpark. It can be higher with steady highway (note: do not stay on cruise control during break-in).

Subaru tunes a bit rich when accelerating or when above a certain RPM (I can't recall exactly, but above 4200rpm). So, when dipping into the throttle often, you'll experience greater fuel consumption (compared to what you might be used to in a non-turbo car).

BTW: Save up for a rear sway bar and be prepared to be astonished at how it transforms the car's handling and feel.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply...the rear sway bar -- how much and where do I get one - or better yet thee best one...??

Do I install it?? I am capable with tools...or is this a get it up on the rack thang..?

TIA

#4 ·
hANNAbONE said:
Thanks for your reply...the rear sway bar -- how much and where do I get one - or better yet thee best one...??

Do I install it?? I am capable with tools...or is this a get it up on the rack thang..?

TIA
Rear sway bars are up to about $200. From my research, Subaru's JDM 20mm bar, Cusco, or Cobb are the best.

There are a number of vendors, perhaps even your local dealer, that can sell you Cusco or Cobb. For the JDM (what Subaru actually provides in Japan as factory original equipment), you can get that from <http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/index.php?cPath=1_132>.

Yes, you can do it yourself. With the OB, you can even do it without ramps or a lift. Takes about an hour or 1.5 hrs. Check out this link for good install instructions: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10073&highlight=jdm+rear+swayAvo Turboworld

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.