Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Outback 2.5 SOHC JDM Engine Swap Out

Today's project ..... remove an ailing 2.5 SOHC from a 2006 Outback and install a JDM replacement.

The JDM was reported to have 50,000 miles. Based on its condition, that seemed reasonable.

While I had it out, I removed the heads and replaced the head gaskets. That was a good call. Although they didn't seem close to failure, they were showing signs of deterioration in the lower corners where they typically fail. I cleaned the heads up and checked them for flatness before reinstalling them. I used FELPRO MLS gaskets and new head bolts.

I also replaced the timing belt with a Gates kit while I had it out and on the engine stand.

I started early in the morning with the heads for the JDM on the bench. Assembled the heads onto the JDM engine. Pulled the Outback in. Removed the bad engine from the Outback. Swapped the necessary parts between the two engines and reinstalled the engine. It was a long day, but it was running that evening. All in all an easy swap out.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~dougmac/Subaru/Subie.mp4

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey can you go into some detail with what parts needed to be swapped from the USDM to the JDM motor? I have a 2006 outback 2.5 avls motor (ruined) that I want to replace with a JDM motor. I have heard that the intake needs to be swapped, but what else? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts