Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a clean, one-owner 06 Outback (with the 4EAT) with a snapped timing belt. Rebuild the heads, put it all back together, and it runs great.

Problem is, the 2-3 shift will sometimes hang for a second or two and then slam into 3rd. It's acting like it's dropping into neutral between gears. Seems to happen worse the higher the RPMs in 2nd before shifting (if you sport shift it into 3rd at 2500rpm it shifts normally, if you sport shift it into 3rd at 4000rpm it hangs and slams into 3rd). Hits 3rd hard enough to break the tires loose.

I've changed the ATF filter and done a drain and fill three times, all with OEM parts. Replaced the transmission mount (thinking there was play and letting the trans move too much when it engaged 3rd) which made no difference. Resetting the ECU/TCU makes no difference. No CEL, no stored codes anywhere. I'm stumped on what else to look for.

That being said, I can pick up a used transmission w/ 120k on it for $350 with a 30 day warranty. Is it even worth trying to fix this transmission (which otherwise works fine) or should I just replace the transmission and be done with it?

Is it possible (or desirable) to upgrade to the 5EAT?

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
I would think that a problem with just one gear would indicate something more mechanical, or hydraulically specific to that particular part of the trans: shift solenoid, clutch pack etc. Judging by how nice and clean that car looks, I would buy the used one and get driving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts