Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, as I mentioned above I have 2006, 3.0 outback and have been getting the check engine light on, sport light flashing and cruise light flashing. I check the codes but only get the p0700 generic transmission control system (mil request).
I did put a new gas cap on but hasn't helped, i bought it used and don't know any real history of it.
Any help on what to check would be great. Thank you.

I am not new to subarus as this is my 18th and currently have a 2008 outback h6, 99 outback with 97,000, a 2002 legacy gt and a 88 XT6.

I do my own work but not sure what to do here, i have done head gaskets, and workef on the 4spd auto (in my previous 2000 ob) but not sure on this one.

Thank you again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
@plain OM might be able to point out a nice thread for p0700 in cars like yours. ...wow he beat me to the start, getting trans codes off the on board code reader.

as per your screen name, what VW did you have,

and please post up some XT6 pics :smile2: (and a 88 = original sixer now 30 years young >:).)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thank you for the quick responces, I was trying to search for my question on the board also maybe by someone previously. I just found the thread on reading codes on the dash, haven't tried that yet. I was trying my plug in code reader but it doesn't seem to pull anything but the the generic p0700.

I will have to go try the car itself by connecting the white plugs and key method.

The VW was from having a 66, 73 and a 68, all Bugs. Currently don't have a bug but will be looking for another this summer.

Thank you guys, I will try the car check.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will try to get pics of my XT6 up, i have owned it since '95 and i have not driven it in the winter since owning it. Don't want it to rust away in the PA salt, i have my winter beater for that lol

My dad was a parts and service manager for subaru for many years back in 78 thru ? Can't remember now when he left there, he was there a long time. I remember our '77 green wagon and our new 79 gold wagon well when my parents had them when i was 8 and 9. Sure would like to have one of them today, loved the older ones.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
I will try to get pics of my XT6 up, i have owned it since '95 and i have not driven it in the winter since owning it. Don't want it to rust away in the PA salt, i have my winter beater for that lol.

I wish all subarus had the on board diagnostic thing in it like 2005-2009,

on my 2002s I am stuck with a probe or paperclip grounding out and counting flashes like a caveman.

_________

and I would hold out for a Karman Ghia or a Porsche 912 putting subaru or EV-West type power to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the Ghia's are cool as well as the buses, I have always been partial to the bugs, but any Aircooled would be fine in my garage, lol.

I will post up what i find with my onboard check. Thanks again

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
Hey guys, thank you for the quick responces, I was trying to search for my question on the board also maybe by someone previously. I just found the thread on reading codes on the dash, haven't tried that yet. I was trying my plug in code reader but it doesn't seem to pull anything but the the generic p0700.

I will have to go try the car itself by connecting the white plugs and key method. . . .
For the 2006, should not have to connect any white plugs etc. Follow the button-pushing etc., steps in the first post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heý guys, sorry got busy since last post. I did get the code from the car (no wire connection method). It appears to have p0715 code, the turbine sensor. I see it has two one one the outside of the tranny and one where the pan and tail extension need removed. I haven't had a chance to get under it yet to inspect any connections or anything.

I am looking at getting into the transmission? I did have to a 4eat tail extension removal to replace the sensor in it once but have not monkied with the 5eat at all.

Figures it all happens in the winter when it's all snowy and cold, lol.

Is there anything else that could cause this code? I used to be able to reset it / clear it and get a day out of it before the dash started all the blinking again but now it comes back pretty quick. I don't want to ruin the tranny for sure but need the car to get to work.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
DTC P0715 INPUT/TURBINE SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT
DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
Input signal circuit of TCM is open or shorted.
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
• Excessive shift shock
• Does not shift to 5th

Turbine Speed Sensor #1. It's mounted on the outside, left side of the transmission. But the problem might not be the sensor.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/65386-5eat-4-5th-gear-dont-work.html has some detail regarding the sensor. Unfortunately, the charts might not be visible due to new rules at Photobucket. There's some apps that can be added to browsers (eg Chrome, Firefox) that will reveal the charts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plain, thank you, my car does react right now with not shifting into fifth gear, does have a hard knock / shift sometimes when downshifting into second and down into first.

I see the one sensor is shown on the outside of the tranny but the other requires getting into the tranny, just still not sure how check myself on which one could be at fault. Unfortunately I just don't trust my local subaru dealers to take it to and the closest i would like to go to is 2.5 hrs away.

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
@plain OM , i see now, i thought the code covered both 1& 2. I did see the connector / sensor real quick looking in the hood. I will have to get a chance to get better inspection of it. Can that sensor be purchased by itself?
Didn't check, but now that you raised the question, I looked at several on-line Subaru parts sources. The Turbine Sensor #1 itself is not listed separately; it's included with the complete wiring harness etc. Odd, given that the sensor is diagrammed as a separate part in the catalogs, and it's independent replacement seems fairly clear from the FSM page attached earlier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plain, ño problem, i haven't found it yet either and just wondered if you knew. Thank you and happy new year.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I had this exact same issue and performance problems and mine ended-up being a damaged sensor. (The trans came from a donor car and was damaged during removal, but the sensor can fail altogether)

The sensor CAN be replaced by itself. Subaru doesn't like to advertise that for some reason... See my DIY/info page below.

P0715 5EAT Turbine Sensor 1 Replacement

The diag process involves an SSM and some less-than-common equipment, but with FreeSSM/RomRaider and an OBD2 cable, you can(should) monitor the trans parameters to make sure a sensor replacement could possibly fix your issue.

If you had zero issues before and this appeared "out of the blue", then it's probable a sensor failure. However, several internal parts can fail and confuse the TCU into thinking it's a sensor failure when it's actually a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
I had this exact same issue and performance problems and mine ended-up being a damaged sensor. (The trans came from a donor car and was damaged during removal, but the sensor can fail altogether)

The sensor CAN be replaced by itself. Subaru doesn't like to advertise that for some reason... See my DIY/info page below.

P0715 5EAT Turbine Sensor 1 Replacement . . .
I had seen that thread back when it was posted, but missed it in this discussion. Will have to bookmark it with caps.

In regard to testing, the Turbine Sensor #1 signal is normally available only when in 4th gear; at other times, the sun gear it's monitoring is braked, so no rpm data. If the transmission is going into 4th gear (that's 1:1 all the way), then FreeSSM or Romraider should be able to display the sensor rpm data at that time, thereby confirming whether or not it's working. If the data isn't there, then that would lead to the P0715, but it wouldn't distinguish between a failed sensor, a broken wire, a bad contact in a connector, or a short to ground. That would still require examination and continuity testing.

In http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/65386-5eat-4-5th-gear-dont-work.html, Romraider data showed that with a good transmission, the brake on the sun gear is released prior to the anticipated upshift, and the input clutch seems to be engaged when the Turbine Sensor #1 signal and Turbine #2 signal match. (See post #65.) At that time the Input Clutch is fully applied, effecting the gear change. (The reference transmission data was provided by @rasterman and has been a valued help both in learning how the transmission functions and diagnosing problems.) In the current P0715 case, the transmission still seems to shift into 4th even though the trouble code would appear to be missing (based on the code). It would be interesting to see a log of the upshifts in nazvwxt6's 5AT. It might clarify the role of the Sensor #1 signal in the 3-4 upshift sequence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rough diamond,
Hello, i did find your post but whe i had two different subaru dealers run that part number it didn't show campatible with my 06 llbean 3.0. Or my vin number so i unfortunatly have ordered the whole harness for $300. I should have taken the chance on the sensor but my connector appears to have a side latch mechanism so i didn't think it would work?

I hope it works, lol. Waiting for it to come.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
@plain OM might be able to point out a nice thread for p0700 in cars like yours. ...wow he beat me to the start, getting trans codes off the on board code reader.

as per your screen name, what VW did you have,

and please post up some XT6 pics :smile2: (and a 88 = original sixer now 30 years young >:).)
This isn't mine, only wish! We ran into the owners up in Michigan last summer at a rest area when we were all heading south. I thought it was so cool I had to strike up a conversation and get a closer look. I can't recall the exact model but I believe the guy said it was a California mod and pretty rare. They were from the Fort Wayne Indiana area. Anyway, a little VW eye candy!

I don't know if this would apply but if you are looking for transmission sensors you might want to contact Hexmods. They were able to provide me with an individual sensor that everywhere else wanted to sell me an entire harness. I thought they were great to work with, shipped very fast!

Awh crap, looks like I'm a day late - sorry!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts