Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 outback xt with 80,660 miles. Check Engine light and flashing cruise control started flashing.

Our mechanic diagnosed it as needing a new cat converter and O2 sensor. We have to call the dealership tomorrow to see if it is under warranty. Anyone have warranty info for this year and model? I can not find anything on the web.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The emission system including the ECM is covered for 8/80k, but I don't know how much Subaru will be a stickler given your just over 80k, but they will go over the car more than a "mechanic" to insure the CAT does indeed need to be replaced before replacing it. The CAT on your car is not cheap.

You may not need a CAT. Get a second opinion. Read through here for some ideas: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49537-p0420-diag.html

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
The likelyhood of it actually being a failed cat is extremely low.

Commonly a failing O2 sensor, or exhaust leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006 Outback XT Cat code and warranty issues

I have a 2006 outback xt with 80,660 miles. Check Engine light and flashing cruise control started flashing.

Our mechanic diagnosed it as needing a new cat converter and O2 sensor. We have to call the dealership tomorrow to see if it is under warranty. Anyone have warranty info for this year and model? I can not find anything on the web.
Follow-up on codes and warranty. I went to Subaru dealer last Thursday and they checked the code. They only got an O2 sensor reading and told me the car is under warranty until 84,000 and/or until august (car is a turbo and therefore a shorter warranty). They of course charged me. I had our mechanic replace and clear the code. He thinks the Catalytic code will come up again soon but hasn't yet. Anyone have a similar experience on different codes coming up at different times. I am nervous about the this Cat code and running out of warranty.
thanks!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
In my case on my '05XT I got a code virtually the same and was also saying it was the Catalytic Converter. The engine was running somewhat lousy too. However, mine ultimately turned out to be a bad exhaust gas temp sensor. They also had to replace the "Pre-Catatalytic Converter Pipe".. whole thing cost around $350.00. The code went away..

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But what was the code?
The codes listed on the service receipt from the dealership were:

P0030 O2 Sensor heater circuit range/performance problem; and

P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit open (bank 1, sensor 1)

My mechanic had 2 codes these listed as well as:

P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold level bank.

Hope this helps and thanks for the help!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
My guess is still gonna be a failing front oxygen sensor. Not too difficult to replace with a oxygen sensor socket, PB Blaster, and time.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
The codes listed on the service receipt from the dealership were:

P0030 O2 Sensor heater circuit range/performance problem; and

P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit open (bank 1, sensor 1)

My mechanic had 2 codes these listed as well as:

P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold level bank.

Hope this helps and thanks for the help!
Yeah, replace the front AF sensor. Use a Denso or Bosch OE fit. Don't go with a "universal", it won't work long.

Also check the ground lug on the intake manifold, right side up top close to the throttle body, and make sure its tight and clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts