Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 outback 2.5I and the cruise control will not come on. The cruise light on the dash does not come on when the key is turned on. I have checked all the fuses i could find and all are good. anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
That's a strange one; first time I can recall a fault where the indicator lights, which are LEDs and driven by the combination meter microcomputer, don't come on.

I have checked all the fuses i could find and all are good.
Do you mean you checked all the fuses in both the engine and dashboard fuse panels, or do you mean you checked those fuses you could find that you believe are related to the cruise control?

If the latter, which fuses did you find and check (they're identified in the Owners Manual, by number)?

How did you check the fuses?

Did you try running the cruise control even though the indicator lights aren't on? (E.g., get up to a safe cruise speed, press the button to turn on the cruise control, and then flip the lever down momentarily to "set" the speed.) Did it work even though the lights indicator didn't come on?

Is the trip meter (in the odometer area) showing the current trip mileage, or is it showing what looks like an "Er" followed by two letters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the fuses in both panels. none of the fuses are labled for the cruise control. I checked the fuses with a test light, and all had power on both sides. I did try to set the cruise without the light being on and at several different speeds but could not get it to work. The trip meter is is showing the correct trip mileage and reset to zero when the reset was pushed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought this car today and thought i had checked to see if everything worked but i guess i missed this one. Possibly why i got such a good deal.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i
48 Posts
I think I can answer this one as I had the same problem when I bought mine!

I had a bad clock spring which is located in the steering column. The part was $140, and I got dinged for a couple hours labor. :29:

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
That's a very good possibility.

Did you also not have any cruise warning lights come on when the ignition key was set to On but the engine was not started? (They should come on for a few seconds, and then go out.)

It would be interesting to know if when there's a break in the clockspring that opens the circuit through that remaining path, the instrument panel cruise control lights don't come even when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also thought it could be the contacts in the steering column causing an open circuit but with the airbag I am not comfortable taking it apart. My dealer has agreed to fix the problem, i will take it in next monday and suggest they check the clock spring. Since they are not a subaru dealer i hope they have a good mechanic.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i
48 Posts
I have no idea on the lights, I bought the car 1800 miles away and my dad picked it up for me and took it directly to the mechanic for the timing belt service. I know he said while driving it if he tried to use cruise nothing would happen. No lights or anything came on like the cruise didn't exist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My used car dealer ended up taking the car to the local subaru dealer and they found the cruise switch was defective. The switch had to be ordered, so when it comes in and is installed i will give you an update on weather the switch actually fixed the problem.

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
Interesting diagnosis. All the switches in the cruise control switch are "normally open", so they're not likely the problem. There is a connection that goes through the clockspring and a string of resistors inside the switch housing. Perhaps if there's break in that circuit the CC won't work AND the instrument panel lights won't come on when the key is at On (but before the engine is started).

Will be looking forward to your update . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cruise switch did not fix the problem, now the dealer is saying there is no power to the cruise switch. they are going to work on it some more tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Subaru dealer told me that their scan tool had indicated that the crise switch was bad.

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
No power measured at the switch itself could be caused by a bad roll (clockspring) connector, which is "upstream" of the switch.

This is an interesting situation, especially the fact that Cruise lights don't come on when the ignition is turned to ON for the warning light check, which I thought would work even if the connections to the switch were defective. I don't recall any cases like this before, so please do continue to keep up informed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea its fixed. The dealer installed the new clock spring and everything now works properly including the cruise dash lights that now come on with the other idiot lights when the key is turned to on.

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
Great news. Your cruise is back in operation, and we have confirmation that the "lights out" symptom (when the key is set to ON and other warning lights are on) was related to the broken connection (clock spring) between the cruise control module (ECM) and the control switch at the steering wheel. Something new learned, again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
The Subaru dealer told me that their scan tool had indicated that the crise switch was bad.
Did you charge them labor for using your car to discover their scan tool was bad? :D:D

Thanks for following up on your problem all the way to the solution. Too many times a problem is noted on a forum and the solution is never written up for the rest of us to use as a learning experience.:29::29:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts