Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08 OBXT 5MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've been looking around at people who have done swaps and put STI engine in outbacks. I'm interested in this as well. I am considering just getting a WRX STI, but I like the size and ground clearance that the outback has and I mainly just want more power for mountain driving.

So how much would you estimate the damages would be for a full and complete STI swap on a 2006 2.5i and what all would be involved? I don't have the time or facilities to do it myself so I would need to have it done somewhere else. I wondering if there is just a cut off point where getting a new car is a better option.

I would want to make sure that all the systems support the new engine and work as they are intended. Would it possible to keep an automatic transmission through all this? Upgrade to something other than a 4 speed auto i currently have, like a 5 speed auto or CTV?
-----
On a different note I've been noticing quite a delay between when I press the accelerator and receiving power.
It's like:
1. Press accelerator
2. Wait around 3/4 of a second
3. Receive power

This happens no matter how hard I press the accelerator I can press it a "normal" amount or floor it and the result is the same. My car has 116k miles.

I saw some posts about drive by wire causing it, but it's such a noticeable delay I have a hard time believing that. I'm wondering it it might be a transmission issue. Maybe it's not engaging fast enough or something. Subarus are a strange beast hehe :)

Thanks for your help :)

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
In a nutshell, it would be cheaper for you to get the H6 or an Outback XT than to try and do what you are asking about, if money is an object at all.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
In a nutshell, it would be cheaper for you to get the H6 or an Outback XT than to try and do what you are asking about, if money is an object at all.
XT - put through all the proper stage 2 and 3 mods is basically your STI swap. ^ what he says makes sense get the XT and start doing the documented mods and tunes and you have the car your talking about.

·
Registered
08 OBXT 5MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I was looking at the XT as well but failed to mention it in the post. That does seem like a good option. From what I can find out the XT has ~250 HP and the STI has 305 hp. How much of a "noticeable" difference is there, if you know what I mean? I'm not exactly sure how wide the gap is when dealing with 55 hp between them. Maybe some tests drives are in order to see what I want to do.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
There is at least one XT owner here in the forums who has done lots of mods and can give you a good idea about power. But realistically speaking if you want the most HP possible the OB is the wrong platform due to its lacking ability regarding handling.

·
Registered
08 OBXT 5MT
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is at least one XT owner here in the forums who has done lots of mods and can give you a good idea about power. But realistically speaking if you want the most HP possible the OB is the wrong platform due to its lacking ability regarding handling.
True, the handling probably isn't meant for it. More power is want I mainly want. I really like my Outback so it would be nice to keep it somehow. I know a couple of ppl with WRX STIs and they recommend them.

·
Registered
08 OBXT
7 Posts
True, the handling probably isn't meant for it. More power is want I mainly want. I really like my Outback so it would be nice to keep it somehow. I know a couple of ppl with WRX STIs and they recommend them.
I disagree, lowered these cars are amazing to drive. Definitely not at full STI power can it corner the same without brakes or body stiffening but I think its completely doable. Handling wise, whats so much different about an XT?

I am also seriously interested in this swap. I'm rounding 180k on mine and would consider just buying an XT or newer model too but they aren't the same. New ones aren't manual and in my opinion the Gen 3 Outbacks look the best with their natural flares. Plus I can't really see it being that much less expensive considering insurance for a more expensive model and buying another used car to inherit someone else's "tired of it" issues. And I like my mods / don't want to swap them and my body is in excellent condition, its an ideal platform in my eyes. I also have a stage 2 wrx, its fast an fun but its not the sleeper status a wagon holds.

Im assuming any wrx/sti engine will mount up (US models 02 - ??). Anyone know about transmission mounting or axles lining up? Info on integrating harnesses? JDM vs. USDM?

Whys a $10k price tag seem unrealistic for basically a new car to everyone who ever writes up this topic?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.