Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site and finding it very informative..... I’ve wanted a Subaru for a few years and getting ready to purchase my first. It’s a 2006 Outback LTD priced very reasonable. I will be looking at it tomorrow but pictures and details show it is in very good condition both inside and out, and with only 1 owner. It does have 159,000 miles. I believe this is not high for a Subaru but not sure so I’m here for any thoughts from experienced Subaru owners. Thanks!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Maintenance records are key.

Well serviced and taken care of, 160k wouldn't worry me.

No records, I'd plan on about $2k of preventative work to be safe. (Complete timing belt and all associated parts, general tune up, fresh fluids, etc).

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5MT Ltd.
81 Posts
With one owner it should be easy to verify the maintenance. Definitely ask about oil changes and new turbos. Maybe the turbo failed and now you have a brand new one, thats a plus, maybe it never failed so you'll have to pay attention to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the input. I'm looking forward to seeing the vehicle tomorrow afternoon and really hoping to bring it home! Thanks to this site - I'm going better informed.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
With one owner it should be easy to verify the maintenance. Definitely ask about oil changes and new turbos. Maybe the turbo failed and now you have a brand new one, thats a plus, maybe it never failed so you'll have to pay attention to it.
Sounds like this is just a Limited, not an XT, so the turbo wouldn't be a concern.

To the OP, you'll still want to verify the records as far as a timing belt & oil changes.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
And think about your stereo options. You are married to that head unit as it can't be swaped out for an aftermarket unit cheaply

·
Registered
2005 OB 2.5i
42 Posts
And think about your stereo options. You are married to that head unit as it can't be swaped out for an aftermarket unit cheaply
There are many options for dash kits to install an aftermarket stereo, my 2005 came with one already installed, can't recall the brand of the kit but I know it cost less than $50

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
He is looking at a LTD , not a 2.5i. LTD's come with automatic climate control which is built into the same panel as the stereo.

Subarus of this generation can NOT have aftermarket units installed without a big pain to the wallet or major complication.

You have a 2.5i, which does NOT have automatic climate controls.

·
Registered
2005 OB 2.5i
42 Posts
Scosche? unsure on spelling or Metra made a kit for the outbacks with auto climate controls, maybe they are now discontinued but they were available the last time I checked.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Nope never did. Trust me on this one, i looked high and low and had to come up with a much less pricy (not by much) and elegant solution.

1- mount head unit in glove box
2- mount head unit in cubby
3- hack in an aux input
4- Use a grom adapter and get a hvac unit from a 2008 or 2009
5- Use an adapter that works through the speakers but not the unit
6- Get a JDM HVAC unit (which is not incorporated into the stereo) at a really high cost. Still requires a adapter and a head unit.

really depends upon what you want to do and your needs. I went for the grom unit and an updated HU from a newer subaru.

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread! - Subaru Legacy Forums

Major Surgery
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dual-hvac-pcb-relocation-info-53848.html

JDM HVAC panel
http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middlesmall=2:13&maker=&volkey=&page=3

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I bit the bullet and installed the JDM kit. Believe me, I looked for alternatives before sinking $375 into a bracket for a $200 head unit.

(I haven't tracked the exchange rate since, that was what it ran me 18 months ago)

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I went with a GROM unit, it's not perfect, but I did get to upgrade my HU to one with an MP3 player and have all the blutooth functions. I just wish the titles from the ipod would scroll.

·
Registered
2008 OB2.5i LTD
179 Posts
On my 08 LTD I removed the glove box insert and put in an Alpine iPod HU. It was spliced into the existing harness, leaving the stock radio & ventilation system intact. Wiring led back to an amp in the tire well, sub-woofer enclosure and upgraded door speakers. Advantage is with the glove box closed it's a total stealth sound system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts