Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and my "first" Subaru. ( I learned how to drive on a Subaru 15 yr ago.)

I am long time Mercedes-Benz fan and do all work on my MB myself. To get to the purpose of this thread I just purchased a 2006 Outback 136k miles. I bought it cheap planing to fix it up but it is turning out that the problem is the worst case scenario.

The problem is that the engine doesn't start.
The starter tries but it can't turn the engine even an inch. Took out the starter and tested it.

Also I was thinking maybe one of the pulleys/water pump were seized. Removed all the belts and timing belt on the front. Everything turns freely except the crankshaft. I put a socket on the crankshaft trying to spin it just a little the shaft doesn't move even 1mm.

The timing belt wasn't broken.

This car was reposesed by the bank from which I bought it from. I know it was running when the bank got it, because it shows (tacho) running on the pictures they had posted. Regardless it is not running now and most likely this car was sitting for several months.

What do you guys suggest at this point?

My guess is that this overheated and now it has seized crankshaft.
Either way is there anything else that you would suggest I try?

My second question is: If this motor is gone, I don't want to rebuilt it but would like to swap it out. What engines would fit on this car? Do I have to stick to 06+ outback or would another Subaru engine fit on it? Meaning mostly a bolt on solution, I don't want to create a hybrid engine.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have been looking at that site.

From my description do you think this engine is toast? Or anything else I should try to salvage this thing?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
If its automatic and the torque converter is locked up, the engine won't rotate.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Just make sure the cams are locked at TDC when you are trying to turn the engine. Otherwise valves meet pistons. With the timing belt off, the driver's side will want to rotate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried putting the transmission in neutral just to eliminate that issue, even though highly unlikely the problem.

Removed all the spark plugs and sprayed some WD40 in there. Will try to break it loose today but I need crankshaft socket tool. I am afraid that I may brake the crankshaft bolt if I used it to loosen the engine up.

Any suggestion on how to unseize this thing?
Also has anyone been able to replace any of the rod bearing in place???? I know it's a temporary fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts