Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT Ltd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just picked up a 2006 Outback XT Ltd about a week ago. 78k, 2 owners, very consistent maintenance history, looks like it was dealership serviced all the way up to about 68k miles, so all in all a very clean and taken care of ride. However, I've noticed it tends to idle some what low (IE - appx. 500rpm) when warming up. Not when its starting up while parked, but while its on the road a few blocks from my house. After about a mile or two, its goes to a more normal idle speed, around 800 rpm or so, and sometimes it briefly idles a little roughly when stopped at the stoplight, but overall, the low idle goes away after a bit of driving. Is this something I should be worried about, or is it just the age of the car showing? I know old vacuum lines can cause this issue from prior experience, but since I am new to the 2.5 turbo engine, I'm looking for any info I can absorb from you guys regarding these kinds of symptoms:D

Also, any tips on performing the basic performance/reliability upgrades for this car (catless up pipe, banjo & ACVS filters, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so any advice or insight into your guy's own experiences would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
That is a bit odd. The only time I ever get a rough idle is if I reset the ecu.

First thing to check in regards to the low idle would be your air filter (stock and clean) and clean your maf and iat sensor (all one part with 2 sensors). Then reset the ecu either by disconnecting the battery for a while or by using a vagcom and freessm or learningview software. Keep in mind that your idle will be very rough and erratic for a little bit after an ecu reset.

Get a vagcom cable! With it you can check your fuel trims to see if you might have a vacuum leak.

The infamous avcs filter is a good addition if you want to get rid of the banjo filter. In most people's experience, simply sticking to a 3750 oci and using synthetic is enough. Depends on how much money you want to dump into reliability mods.

KillerB oil pickup will replace the stock one that can break occasionally destroying engine and turbo.

IP&T oil line will replace the stock banjo filter that can clog.

STI or gutted stock up pipe will eliminate the potential for the cat deteriorating and sending chunks into the turbo.

Remove the intercooler and zip tie the vacuum lines to the blue "T". If one of those blows off, you'll run very lean and probably blow a piston ring.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT Ltd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seabass you are the man. I cleaned the MAF and it now seems to be running quite a bit better. Also, I really appreciate you listing (very concisely, I might add) the reliability mods that you have found to be worth looking at. Thanks for the help. I knew joining this forum would be a good idea...:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts