Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently had service done on my 2006 Outback wagon . I was told that Both Lower control Arms were torn and they along with the bushings should be replaced. How necessary/ urgent is this ?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Well, the terminology is a little vague. I'd consider getting a second opinion. Is the car driving OK or making knocking noises or destroying tires?

maybe if you post your city, someone could recommend a shop for you.

If only the rear bushings are bad, they might cost 85-100, maybe a little more , each. maybe 3 hours total to install, could be 2 i suppose.

But, if the inner bushings are bad as well, it may be better to buy the entire arm. They CAN be pressed out and new ones pressed in. Dunno if all shops would do that or how a dealership would deal with it.

i just installed lca rear bushings in my wife's car and wish I had gotten OEM. I don't know , however, if 06 is similar to 03.

maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Portland, oregon . I was having my rear brakes and spark plugs changed at a shop my Father had used for 10 years. As of now I m not having any stability or control issues however the mechanic said I might start having bad tire wear or other probelms . He seemed to indicate that it was semi urgent. his quote was $294 for both LH and RH Arms & bushings which seems reasonable after pricing the parts on the web . I just dont know how urgent or necessary it is to have the work done. Like everyone else Money is tight and after shelling out $300 for the last work it will be a little time before I can swing the next $300

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Price is good. If it's the rubber rear bushing, it can go a long time. In fact there is a TSB from subaru saying the tear is less than XX mm then it is normal. I'm not sure about the inside bushing.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
seems cheap - maybe the rear bushings are OK?

Might consider going ahead and getting lower ball joints too.

if it handles well and you get them fixed before tires are chewed up, you could probably wait a few weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an '06 3.0R with 120,000 miles on it. I just put a new set of tires on it, and the folks at NTB said I have one fairly bad (split) front (driver's side) LCA bushing. The passenger's side is worn, but not split yet. They quoted me about $400 each for OEM. I already have paid for 3 yrs of unlimited four wheel alignments. I got on the forum to see what others' have experienced. Sounds like mine is pretty common.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I picked up a used control arm from an 08 outback from a junk yard for 75 bucks..the bushing on my lower control arm was completely sheared through...If you have the time to do the work yourself it'll take about 2 to 3 hours to do it...replacing the lower control arm is pretty straight forward and not too difficult

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here it is compared to the stock arm

Here's the stock bushing (about 119k miles) compared to the new Mevotech

Barely got the old ball joint out of the knuckle. Torch, chisel, hammer and a bigger hammer finally won!

Cleaned the inside of the knuckle with a Dremel.....lots of rust

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
traildogck
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing