Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5i power seat is no longer moving forward or reverse. I believe this is due to the motor that controls this option, because there has been a burnt electrical smell the past month or so when I would engage the switch. Is there any precautions I should take in the removal of the seat due to the air bag. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cookie

·
Registered
18,019 Posts
Ignition key out, disconnect battery. Wait a few minutes, press brake pedal to try to discharge any remaining Voltage in the system. This can help ensure that the airbag won't trigger.

There's several connectors under the seat, including power for the power seat, seat heater (if so equipped), and the airbag. The airbag has a yellow connector that incorporates a lock that is sometimes difficult to release. Disconnecting the airbag after the electrical system is discharged should be safe.

The symptoms could also be a bad switch. The switch location leaves it somewhat exposed to water and spills. But with the seat out there will be better access to the switch as well as the motors.

Let us know how it goes, and if you can, post some photos as the work proceeds.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Avoid wearing any type of clothing that is a good static electricity generator. I have seen a Tech blasted out of a car in a Saturn Shop. I don't recall what he was working on but he got the full blast right in the face as he was leaning in from the outside of the car. Took smelling salts to get him to come around and he did get a ride in the fancy truck as he called it to the Hospital. He had one of the worst black eyes I've ever seen for a few weeks after that.

I do remember him saying he was doing nothing close to the air bag but he had triggered it when going through some power plugs under the dash. Safe to assume the seat plugs could cause a similar issue if the battery is not disconnected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts