Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof motor may be going.

I found a write-up for a 2004 forester where he replaced the brushes and didn't have to shell out for a new motor.

Worth it if should I get a new one in there considering the time I'm gonna spend dropping the headliner?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have had mixed luck changing out brushes on small motors like that.

It probably depends on your budget and willingness to do it again if it doesn't work out. I would probably pony up for the new motor. In leaner times, I may have made a run at just changing the brushes.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I've read that the entire sunroof module comes out like a cassette, and have also seen complete assemblies sold used for ~$75. Just for comparison's sake to the repair you are attempting now.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
722 Posts
kawasakiguy37,

I've dropped several headliners for sunroof work, and I've torn many a small motor apart to clean up/free up/replace the brushes, with a lot of success.

Dropping the headliner to get at the motor isn't hard, just time consuming. As for the motor, its easy to get at and remove to the work bench afterwards. As for resurrecting it, it depends on what you find when you get to that stage and get it apart.

In my case I had other rides at my disposal, a nearby wrecking yard with donor sunroof equipped cars, and the time to do the fiddling around, as all retired guys do.

You'll have to decide if the parameters are doable in your case. But on a 12 year old car, I sure wouldn't spring for the dealership to fix it, or for buying a new motor. Used motors are a snap to test with a 12 volt supply before you buy or install. Good Luck!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
sure it's just an electrical motor, so rebuilt it if it's just the brushes.

used assemblies are generally cheap - i got an 00-04 locally for $45 for an entire assembly - track, glass, motor, and all. and super easy to replace, but haven't done an 05+ yet.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Were are you located? I've got a sunroof assembly from a 2008 Outback sitting in the shed. (Front small section glass is gone)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts