Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 B9 Tribeca Limited 7 Pass.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2006 Tribeca, the front and rear defroster buttons only function very rarely. I don't live in a cold climate, so it's not inherently necessary, but I was just thinking what could be causing this, if anyone has an idea.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
I presume you're referring to the defoggers, which are the electric heaters on the glass, rather than the defroster function of the heater controls.

If that's correct, then I have another "question": On my Outback, there's a rear window defogger, but as far as I know, there isn't one for the front windshield. On some cars the front windshield is equipped with a front wiper de-icer heater; could this be what you're referring to? (I'm not familiar with the Tribeca -- it could have something different.)

But if it's relevant, on my Outback, the rear defogger will turn off after 15 minutes of operation, and, the front wiper deicer will only operate when the outside temperature is over 41 F, and will turn off if the car moving at less than 9 mph for approx. 15 minutes. So you might be experiencing a combination of these characteristics.

The information about the heaters being turned off automatically is in the Owners Manual.

Hope this helps for a start. Perhaps someone with a Tribeca will comment as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I presume you're referring to the defoggers, which are the electric heaters on the glass, rather than the defroster function of the heater controls.

If that's correct, then I have another "question": On my Outback, there's a rear window defogger, but as far as I know, there isn't one for the front windshield. On some cars the front windshield is equipped with a front wiper de-icer heater; could this be what you're referring to? (I'm not familiar with the Tribeca -- it could have something different.)

But if it's relevant, on my Outback, the rear defogger will turn off after 15 minutes of operation, and, the front wiper deicer will only operate when the outside temperature is over 41 F, and will turn off if the car moving at less than 9 mph for approx. 15 minutes. So you might be experiencing a combination of these characteristics.

The information about the heaters being turned off automatically is in the Owners Manual.

Hope this helps for a start. Perhaps someone with a Tribeca will comment as well.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what they would be called, I've always thought of them defrosters, the rear window defrost button and there is also a button next to it that turns on the windshield vent and turns the fan on higher. My tribeca has the front wiper de-icer and that has always worked, but only the rear window defroster and the front window defroster (or defogger) only work when they feel like it.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
Had a look at a photo of the B9 HVAC control panel, and then compared it to the automatic HVAC used in some OB, and see that, indeed, the left button in your Tribeca is for the windshield defrost, while the right button activates the rear window defogger.

There are members here who have, or had, a Tribeca. They would be more familiar with the system, and perhaps will respond. Otherwise, members on a Tribeca-specific forum, such as SB9T.com / TribecaForums.com - The Subaru B9 Tribeca Discussion Forums / Enthusiast Community, might be better able to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a look at a photo of the B9 HVAC control panel, and then compared it to the automatic HVAC used in some OB, and see that, indeed, the left button in your Tribeca is for the windshield defrost, while the right button activates the rear window defogger.

There are members here who have, or had, a Tribeca. They would be more familiar with the system, and perhaps will respond. Otherwise, members on a Tribeca-specific forum, such as SB9T.com / TribecaForums.com - The Subaru B9 Tribeca Discussion Forums / Enthusiast Community, might be better able to help.

I wish they could help! I have already posted on that forum, and no one has yet to reply to my thread. I posted in February possibly early March. I'll go back and bump the thread to the top to see if anyone takes notice.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
There have been reports of poor connection at the ribbon cable which connects the control panel to the on-board harness, although they were mostly related to operating HVAC. In some cases, cleaning the contact pads on the cable would solve the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts