Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals...just putting a feeler out here.

My beloved '07 is no longer.

I was crashed in to by a driver running a red light last week, and while the damage seemed minimal, it was pointed it out to me by the body shop (a trusted friend) that the front of the frame has shifted over about an inch. It's not worthwhile for me to spend more fixing this than the book value.

I was still able to drive it there...

Anyway...I figured someone on here might be interested in it for parts?

I've kept it in great shape...I had the head gasket issue addressed at a little after 100k , and it hadn't even gotten to 150 yet. While the engine was out we basically did everything else possible as well.

New brakes..new alternator (within the past few months).

Anyone interested? I don't have good photos showing the damage yet, but if someone is interested I will be taking those...

I'm in NJ.

Cheers!

- Kevin

I'm in NJ.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,396 Posts
I was crashed in to by a driver running a red light last week, and while the damage seemed minimal, it was pointed it out to me by the body shop (a trusted friend) that the front of the frame has shifted over about an inch. It's not worthwhile for me to spend more fixing this than the book value.
If I may ask, why aren't you pursuing this as an insurance claim against the other driver's insurance company?

And if you do do this, are you aware that the car won't be yours to sell or part out until you purchase it from them after they settle on it?

That being said, there should be no lack of interest in this car, or the parts on it, especially a properly maintained and working engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I may ask, why aren't you pursuing this as an insurance claim against the other driver's insurance company?

And if you do do this, are you aware that the car won't be yours to sell or part out until you purchase it from them after they settle on it?

That being said, there should be no lack of interest in this car, or the parts on it, especially a properly maintained and working engine.

Jon, thanks for your reply and sorry for the many months before a reply!

Insurance was no help...the police report claimed there was no way of knowing who was at fault.

I've had it sitting safely it at a friends body shop since...and it's time to get rid of it for good.

I would much rather sell it to an individual who needs it for the parts than the scrapyard.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,967 Posts
alternative: round up a similar 2007 with a dead power plant in it. (2006-2009, maybe, those years had minor and major changes in them, so another 2007 2.5 outback, with the same trans would be ideal).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,396 Posts
Insurance was no help...the police report claimed there was no way of knowing who was at fault.
That's why you pay for uninsured motorist coverage in your policy - it covers more than the situation when you know who the other party was and they don't have insurance; it also covers your situation where there was a hit-and-run. Although it might be too late at this point.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 auto, cold weather ed.
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car getting crunched. Idea, what about rocking it as an offroad car? Still get 2 enjoy it. Maybe take off doors, lift kit, light bar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all I appreciate the support and positive ideas. If money weren't an issue I would have just payed to get the frame righted but at this point I just need to sell it off. I would much rather see it go in parts to people who could use it than to the scrapper.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
7 Posts
@kpgdrums, that's a bummer. 😕 But what about a junk yard? You'd get some money for it and other people would be able to use parts off of it. I'm looking to head to PA at some point to grab some trim pieces myself - I've never been to a junkyard before. 🤗

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@kpgdrums, that's a bummer. 😕 But what about a junk yard? You'd get some money for it and other people would be able to use parts off of it. I'm looking to head to PA at some point to grab some trim pieces myself - I've never been to a junkyard before. 🤗
ultimately that's where it's going, but they really beat you on prices.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
7 Posts
Yeah, there's no arguing that.

Darn it, Scotty.

Good luck! Hope you get more than you expected.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,967 Posts
Harry's has 3 places huge in eastern PA and they post the vin #s of the cars they have so you can see what they are exactly and walk right to them in the row. (print up a list and a map)

but beware, I was reading recently a pick and pull in NY, went to a plain junk yard as they did not want people in the yard at all for this period as of this week.
(last week they just did not want you inside by the register).

so check out online listings before you go,...and they all have their own directions. if I were going for trim pieces I would bring multiple trim pry tools (soft ones coated in rubber and hard steel ones, and subaru really likes phillips head screws.

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback XT
7 Posts
Harry's has 3 places huge in eastern PA
Haha @eagleeye, that's the one I was planning on going to. But I will in a few weeks, given the current circumstances. And I just now started taking my OB apart so want to take a thorough inventory of everything I need. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,967 Posts
Haha @eagleeye, that's the one I was planning on going to. But I will in a few weeks, given the current circumstances. And I just now started taking my OB apart so want to take a thorough inventory of everything I need. Thanks for the suggestion!
I would take a like minded friend (maybe in a separate car) too. (= they don't have helpers on staff,...and extra hands / mind / eyes are nice). or meet someone there.

its a great place to nab snow tire rims that match what you got.
= just need penetrating spray and a large hammer, put a floor mat against the rim and tap, use the lug wrench out of the junked car (perferably with bald tires on them so they don't charge you).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts