Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my wife's 2007 Outback wagon to the dealer for transmission service because it searches for the right gear at 35-40 mph. The car has a little over 40000 miles on it now. During the inspection, they found a small oil leak and told me it needs new head gaskets. Not a blown head gasket, just an oil leak at this point.

I surmise this is a common problem. My question is what is the prognosis. Should I expect this problem to get worse? Will it also start leaking coolant? Should I just watch the fluid levels and let it go for now?

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
my '07 ob is getting new headgaskets and some machining of the heads right now.

small oil leak near the oil filter, blows back onto the motor mount and exhaust.

smells bad and will eventually soften the mount.

oil level drop was extremely small though.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Monitor the fluid level, don't let it get low.

If the leak does not get bad, no reason you couldn't go another 100k without the repair.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I would contact SOA in New Jersey. This has been an issue with 2.5 engines. They might pay for the repair.

I had a 2000 OB with 134,000 miles and HG leaking.....they PAID for half !!!

Customer Loyalty is VERY important to them

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I surmise this is a common problem. My question is what is the prognosis. Should I expect this problem to get worse? Will it also start leaking coolant? Should I just watch the fluid levels and let it go for now?
it'll get worse over time. you can typically get quite a few miles out of them before they start getting worse. it could just be a very small drip very rarely...you didn't notice any symptoms so what they saw is thousands of miles, multiple oil changes worth...it's apparently not much.

it's totally up to you how long you want to wait, keep an eye on how much it looses before the next oil change...it's not likely to be much.

if you ever do have the headgaskets replaced have the EJ25 Turbo headgaskets installed - those do not have headgasket issues. if you have it repaired they're simply installing the same headgasket that leaked in the first place. don't do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I'll monitor the fluid levels while we ponder the situation. And I'll call SOA about the situation.

My wife really likes the Outback. It seems like a really practical car. But I'd hate to think that we'd need to replace the head gasket every fourth oil change.

The Customer Rep told me that when they replace the head gaskets, they never have problems with it again. I wonder if that's the case.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
my '07 ob is getting new headgaskets and some machining of the heads right now.
see my comment above, you should install the EJ25 TURBO headgaskets, not the EJ25 headgasket they're probably getting ready to put on it - i'd call first thing tomorrow and demand the turbo variant.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
The Customer Rep told me that when they replace the head gaskets, they never have problems with it again. I wonder if that's the case.
that is not the case. repeat failures do happen, i'm not saying it's common or expected, but it happens...they're simply installing the same headgasket that failed the first time, how is it magically fixed the second time around? as i mentioned above - there's a better gasket that should be used.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I had a 2000 OB with 134,000 miles and HG leaking.....they PAID for half !!!
awesome, nice hit. your car was also eligible for an extended 100,000 mile headgasket warranty campaign - for 2000-2002 EJ25's. while you were even beyond that - it wasn't unheard of Subaru to step up in those vehicles with the extended warranty because they didn't have the Subaru Coolant Conditioner installed like all other EJ25's have since then...so there's sort of a reason behind your experience. your case is the exception, far from expected. it's not simply "customer loyalty"...there's plenty of people that haven't gotten their headgaskets repaired.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Are they sure it is from a HG and not something else? I would wash the bottom of the engine at a self serve car wash and check again after a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip about the turbo HG, Grossgary. And you made a good point about the long time it's taken to develop a small drip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they sure it is from a HG and not something else? I would wash the bottom of the engine at a self serve car wash and check again after a few days.
They showed the area where it's leaking and it seems to me to be the HG.

That's a good idea about washing the bottom of the engine. At the least, it'll give me an idea of the magnitude of the leak.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5L
2 Posts
My '08 2.5 Outback with 84K miles has been diagnosed with a Weeping HG issue too. Like the others it smells bad when its at a stop. Still works well though.

I just pull off the decorative under garment below the engine to confirm where its leaking. I think they are correct. It appears to be coming off the rear bottom corner of the head on the passenger side just behind the Oil Filter. There is a trail of burnt oil on the exhaust pipe in this area.

Subaru dealer quoted $1800 to replace gasket. When asked which side they said they change both sides at same time. I'm skeptical thinking the are selling this as both sides but only performing change on one side. I think I'll call SOA next week and see what they say or will help with.

I'll tell them i'd love looking into a new Outback but I can't stand the new style and the price. This is partially true; I just can't stand the new look of the outback. I love my '08.

Thanks for the FORUM.

·
Registered
2006 Outback & 2000 Forester
10 Posts
Just picked up a 2006 Outback 2.5i from a head gasket repair @ 57000 miles. SOA paid 1/2. It was over 5 years but not over 60000 miles.

I bought this car for its reliability.

·
Registered
07 outback 2.5i
5 Posts
Just picked up a 2006 Outback 2.5i from a head gasket repair @ 57000 miles. SOA paid 1/2. It was over 5 years but not over 60000 miles.

I bought this car for its reliability.
I'm happy for you my friend that SOA paid 1/2. I'm a 3rd owner of an 07 outback(70k) with HG leak. When I talked to SOA to see if they could help out they said they needed more complete maintenance records which I did not have from the previous owner(there were some but not enough for SOA. So in a nice way they told me to "take a hike, but if I wanted to buy a new Subaru they could make me a deal." :gasp: Anyway one Subaru dealer nearby told me $2400. F-that. a different mechanic I trusted with my previous cars said $1400. Soon as I get some cash I'm going.

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
a little less than $1500 at a local shop. took three weeks. the shop that machined the heads and timed the valves had some special sauce; the car is much quieter and seems peppier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts