Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 3.0R Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post anywhere on this forum so hopefully this is in the right place and apologies if I've missed previous or obvious post on similar issue!

I've just upgraded to this car from my old 1998 2.5 5MT outback and have to say despite my reservation about AT I'm loving it so far!

This 3.0R has 75K (kms) on it and is running on the standard Geo's - 3 of which are about 2/3rds worn and one (L-Rear) is almost new. The previous owner (Dealer) has obviously swapped the most worn tire with the unworn spare as the "current" spare is just about shagged and unevenly worn at that!
The car seems to handle well (I've probably driven about 1500km) with tires as they are (I am running all tires to 40psi as read a post that said this was necessary with Geo's to get reasonable wear and improve fuel economy) Funnily enough I ran my 98 tires at 38psi (which is a lot higher than the spec) and have got great tire performance (80k km and still another 5-10k left in them).

However my concern is that I noted a comment on another thread where one of the KEY things to be careful of with these 3.0R's and their AT's and "asymmetrical drive"
is keeping the tyres the same all round.
Should I be worried about the above tread depth difference causing "expensive" damage/problems with AT or drive train due to the slight circumference difference between worn Vs hardly worn?? Or does the "same all round" only apply to the keeping the tires the same brand and profile?

Other members experience/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

KiwiOB

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Yes!! ALL FOUR TIRES MUST be the same !!!! At MOST there can be maybe an 1/16 inch difference in circumference.

Take a tape measure and measure around the tires...if they are " off" I would buy/get ALL FOUR NEW or the same.

If you dont....it could lead to " torque bind" which could be a VERY expensive repair.

I would do this TODAY !

·
Registered
2007 Outback 3.0R Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS GUYS!!?

****! Thats just re-enforced my low level opinion of dealers! I bought this car off a major Subaru dealer here in NZ (mainly because it had a pretty good service history -admittedly it was not accurate enough to capture number/frequency of tire rotations)
However given that Subaru have obviously specified serious issues with circumference disparity - you would think they would not set the car up to have problems leaving the yard!!? Well I guess I'm obviously being naive - I'm tempted to ring Subaru NZ and ask them what they expect of their "authorized' dealers!

Looking for 5x New tyres right now - ouch!!
Best I do some "figure 8's in the local supermarket car park to check for binding as well!!

Cheers
KiwiOB

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
Calling them will get you nowhere. In an attempt to get this rectified, it is always best to do this face to face. Do not leave the dealership until they correct this issue. P.S. welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2007 Outback 3.0R Ltd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Catric69

I rang the Subaru head office here in NZ and spoke to their service support manager who basically said it was in the area of "grey" as far as what they can "control" from their dealers! As the car was legally able to get a warrant with the tyres they have limited teeth to compel their dealers to NOT do this stuff!? He did however agree that it is not what they want happening but they can't(won;t) stop it!
Unfortunately I bought the car from a dealer in Auckland which is about 700km from where we live in Wellington so not that practical to front them face to face (which I agree is the only way to get traction with them). So have bitten the bullet and put new tires all round - spare included as changed to Maxxis from the Geo's. Expensive little exercise but now have piece of mind that I'm not screwing up the REALLY expensive stuff, and hopefully will get 4yrs/80km out of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts