Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, recently been looking at upgrading the audio in my outback for two reasons, number one being that my driver side woofer doesn't work, hasn't for awhile now. And two being I just want better audio. However, I haven't seen much about it online. I'm not sure how to go about it, I don't think the stock stereo can handle anything much better than stock, and it seems like it'd be a pain to change the stereo out for something else. Anybody got any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
371 Posts
Hey there, recently been looking at upgrading the audio in my outback for two reasons, number one being that my driver side woofer doesn't work, hasn't for awhile now. And two being I just want better audio. However, I haven't seen much about it online. I'm not sure how to go about it, I don't think the stock stereo can handle anything much better than stock, and it seems like it'd be a pain to change the stereo out for something else. Anybody got any experience with this?
Assuming you have dual zone a/c ? Subaru make an adapter (part # h6217ag911) for double din stereos i.e. Dual Zone AV Panel Set (H6217AG911)

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
723 Posts
Yes I do, only problem all the center console parts in my car including the radio are a silver color, which no one seems to have. :confused:
It doesnt look bad with it black as it still matches the dash, you could always paint the center console plate black, or find a part out and grab it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesnt look bad with it black as it still matches the dash, you could always paint the center console plate black, or find a part out and grab it.
I suppose it wouldn't look too bad, is there any way I could get around replacing the stereo but still replace the door speakers?

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
723 Posts
I suppose it wouldn't look too bad, is there any way I could get around replacing the stereo but still replace the door speakers?
A few different options to go this route.
1. Just replace the door speakers with same ohm rating as factory, this does make a difference as I did this.
2. Replace the door speakers AND add an aftermarket amp in, use the front speaker wire as a remote in signal, then run new speaker wiring to door speakers or connect near head unit, depending on wattage, the factory wiring may be adequate.
3. Get the single din kit that replaces the upper cubby mount and install a single din stereo, ignore factory stereo and tap into the existing wires. Personally I hate cutting into factory wires and would just make an adapter harness to connect to the factory stereo that then would also have the additional leads to new stereo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few different options to go this route.
1. Just replace the door speakers with same ohm rating as factory, this does make a difference as I did this.
2. Replace the door speakers AND add an aftermarket amp in, use the front speaker wire as a remote in signal, then run new speaker wiring to door speakers or connect near head unit, depending on wattage, the factory wiring may be adequate.
3. Get the single din kit that replaces the upper cubby mount and install a single din stereo, ignore factory stereo and tap into the existing wires. Personally I hate cutting into factory wires and would just make an adapter harness to connect to the factory stereo that then would also have the additional leads to new stereo.
Alright, I'll look into option 1 for right now, I don't need anything special it's just that one of them doesn't even work right now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
chuck the whole lot in the Bin ... Speakers sub the lot ... get a double Din Fascia panel and up grade all the speakers and head unit . enjoy having OBD2 diag, reverse cam , internet, blue tooth and a decent sounding system

·
Registered
2006 Imprezza Outback Sport
26 Posts
As an audio guy...I would look into replacing the speaker....and upgrade ALL your speakers to something better.
The best stereo in the world will still sound like crap if your speakers are crap.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 Limited 5MT
2 Posts
I was in a similar predicament with my Outback. Decided to keep the stock front components and tweeters, added the under seat subwoofer, and put Infinity Reference coaxial speakers in the back. Definitely not a perfect sound system, but it's adequate for my needs and didn't require changing out the head unit or messing with an amp. The little under seat subwoofer adds some nice depth, and the rear coaxial speakers help brighten everything up a little, especially the fill sound. A whole new system would be nice, but for now I'm pretty happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts