Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a 2007 B9 Tribeca Limited (H6) with 107,000 miles. Without getting into all of the symptoms, we are told that we need a new head gasket, and that this involves pulling the engine. $7,500 estimate. That seems excessive. Should I try another garage? I'd need to tow it since it isn't running. (The nearest dealer, Albany Ford Subaru, is maybe a mile away.)

Symptom summary: cooling system keeps blowing out radiator, hoses, etc. My local, generally trustworthy mechanic says this is happening because the head gasket is leaking exhaust gas into the cooling system. Apparently they can test and see evidence of exhaust in the cooling system, with a parts per million value quoted to me.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
Get a 2nd opinion. Why are you being quoted $7500? You could put a new engine in for less than that. Sounds extremely high to me.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Your mechanic sounds as if the problem was diagnosed correctly, but $7500 is way out of line. Not even replacing both of them should run you around half of that. And not to dispute your mech's diagnosis, but for that much money I'd want to personally witness the hydrocarbon detection test in person.

See if you can find a recommended independent Subaru mechanic and have them give you an estimate. Don't go to the dealer...they'd wholeheartedly agree with the $7k price.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,046 Posts
def get a 2nd opinion, shouldn't even be half that...
Right...

Hey @b9Tribeca You are not on the Front Range, are you? Come by the tdck garage. I'll do you HG for $7500 and I'll have great Christmas.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,382 Posts
Good diagnosis, not many mechanics properly diagnose these things and replace parts unnecessarily.

Even if there's $1,000 of machine shop work in that, the price is way too high. Get another engine or have it repaired somewhere else.
I'm not understanding where a $7,500 quote comes from, that's just bizarre, who is paying these insane prices? You can buy Tribeca's for less than that!?
Maybe it's timing, holidays, tight squeeze on time and people want stuff done fast?

Rough estimates:

$3,500 to resurface the heads, replace headgasket, valve cover gaskets, water pump, oil cooler gasket, and you're done.

$2,500 to install a used engine or JDM engine

$5000 to buy another Tribeca and sell yours. (buy for $8k and sell yours for $3K).

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
For $7500ish I can buy an entire running and driving B9 Tribeca with 150k+miles on it for parts and stuff. That definitely seems excessive, not that I don't understand why places think they'll be able to convince customers to pay that.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
I'll give you $1500 for it right now as is.

Just kidding, that's not very nice.

$7500 is indeed too high. Maybe they don't have enough experience with H6 motors/Tribecas and are overestimating to allow room for their own learning curve...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,382 Posts
I'd need to tow it since it isn't running.
ah - game changer - i missed that in the first read.

if it was severely overheated to the point it won't run/start - save yourself the hassle and buy another engine.

as engines overheat the oil is compromised and lower end bearings are subject to stresses. this leads to future catastrophic lower end failures necessitating an entirely new engine (namely blown rod bearings).

install a used or JDM engine. $2,200 - $2,700 total cost.
$1,700 engine and $500 - $1,000 install/additional parts.

then sell your old engine on a subaru forum or craiglist for $250.

·
Registered
Current 2011 Tribeca 1999 OBW H42.5L Died by Deer 2001 OBW LLBean H6 gone thank goodness its gone.
67 Posts
Frankly, the 3.0 H6s seem to have a bit of a HG issue as well. Granted not as bad as the older 2.5 but they are there. I had it twice on a 02 OB LL Bean. I am looking to get a tribeca, but thinking of looking at newer ones.

I agree with others, $7,500 seems too high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts