Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have been looking through the forums here for a few days trying to decide if it's a smart choice to buy a 2007 obxt with 93k on it for 7 grand. The issue is It has no maintenance records other then title changes( started in Colorado, then moved to Connecticut, and now it's in Maryland) and while I test drove it I knew there was a issue with the turbo. After telling the sales men that I thought the bearings were going, he took it to his mechanic and the next day there was a new a new turbo being ordered for it( apparently the impeller was loose). I am going to take it to a mechanic that I trust to get it inspected after the maintence is done. From reading this forum for the last few days I know about the oil starvation issue on the turbo, and the possible metal contamination of the engine from the turbo failing. I was hoping to be able to get the price dropped and get a warranty if there was no issue with the engine but I also know it's super risky since the turbo did fail and the engines car extremely finicky about oil changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only two other's, a 2008 ob 2.5 limited with 135k miles on it, needs the head gaskets replaced, pretty badly scratched, and is rusty, all for 9k ( last on my list). The second is a 2014 forester x with 110k miles( it was a fleet car), maintence reports every 5 k miles or less and is clean on both the inside and out, all for 12500 out the door. The obxt is cosmetically clean

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Hrm, that's 3 very different cars.

Are you specifically trying to get an XT, or are you just looking for an AWD car?

Aged turbo Subarus are not for the faint of heart (or wallet.) If you aren't specifically trying to sign up for that level of commitment then I would stay away. The 2008 Outback you found is wildly overpriced for the condition you describe, but that Forester sounds pretty good. That was a new (still current) body style for 2014 and it has done very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was specificity looking for subaru's under 10 grand and preferably under 100k miles( quite a hard challenge). From what I have read I could take a risk of sinking over 6k if it needs a new engine or turbo at any point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The obxt was just such a fun and smooth car to drive that I am debating on my head if it would be worth all the trouble down the road

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Turbo problems = RUN away. Somebody will get screwed on this car. Don't let it be you.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
I was specificity looking for subaru's under 10 grand and preferably under 100k miles( quite a hard challenge). From what I have read I could take a risk of sinking over 6k if it needs a new engine or turbo at any point.
Bingo.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
With the constraints of "$10k for <100k miles" I would immediately eliminate any turbocharged candidates.

You will find some under that purchase price, but once you add in what it's going to cost you over the first year or two you'll be back over 10 and then some. Yes, fun and smooth... but there is a price to pay in maintenance and repair. And those are costs that have gone up over time even though the purchase price has gone down with age.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
If you're willing to shrug your shoulders and walk through large repairs and have a good mechanic that you'll be dealing with, it'll be less disconcerting.

Probably a long shot but an oil analysis might tell you something, but maybe only if it's oil that was in the vehicle when the old turbo was sounding off.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
755 Posts
if you do not care about the turbo , I would go for a 2.5i. It will take a lot more abuse and neglect and keep ticking.

that being said.... I would not spend 10k on a 3rd gen Outback as a daily driver. these cars are all aging and 2 models back from current.

I would get the 2014 forester, those are nice, new cars and I bet it will give you very few problems for a while. Those were easy miles I bet.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
if you do not care about the turbo , I would go for a 2.5i. It will take a lot more abuse and neglect and keep ticking.

that being said.... I would not spend 10k on a 3rd gen Outback as a daily driver. these cars are all aging and 2 models back from current.

I would get the 2014 forester, those are nice, new cars and I bet it will give you very few problems for a while. Those were easy miles I bet.
We all scoff at the residual for the Gen 3, but the market commands it (double edged sword). My sister bought an 08 2.5i, 85k miles for $9500, earlier this year. The KBB/Edmunds/TrueCar are still retailing around $10K.

But to the OP, $7K is the middle-to-upper end for a nice OBXT. For that price, it should have decent maint records and no real issues. But if you are not capable nor willing to replace turbos, clutches, bushings, struts, etc, then pass on the XT part of the OB. The labor cost will not be worth it, especially with the premium you pay for the turbo model.

On the converse, the non-turbo models are hovering around $6K for near-100K mile models and you can get nearly every option (for the limited models) that the XT got. Maintenance is easier, parts are cheaper, and drivetrain wise, you share more with other models (in case you need to hit a recycler for parts).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
We all scoff at the residual for the Gen 3, but the market commands it (double edged sword).....The KBB/Edmunds/TrueCar are still retailing around $10K.
Exactly. And note that for those of us that are really hooked on Gen 3 and don't like what they have done to the more recent models, the statement from @WantAnOutback that "these cars are 2 models back from current" is not necessarily taken as a bad thing. For that matter, the Gen 1 is right behind Gen 3 on my list of most favorite Outback designs, and it's 4 models back from current.

Supply and demand is what determines the market pricing, not generalized perceptions about age and obsolescence. It speaks volumes here.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
If you are going to buy a Turbo car - regardless of the manufacturer - equip it with an accumulator to keep the turbo from destroying it's bearings.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
I've purchased several fleet vehicles over the years and I've had really good luck with them! You know they changed the oil at the proper intervals and they have routine maintenance schedules. So, you could have new struts, brakes, etc. already on there. The Forester may not be as sexy but how sexy will you look sitting on the side of the road with a blown engine? If it's something you need for a daily driver, I'm voting for the Forester, if you're looking for fun and fast, maybe go the other way.

I have the EZ30 H6, it's both fun & fast - but I just dropped a JDM in at $1350 and I did the labor....not something I'd planned at 150 K miles!

2 cents worth of BS!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
I have the EZ30 H6, it's both fun & fast - but I just dropped a JDM in at $1350 and I did the labor....not something I'd planned at 150 K miles!

2 cents worth of BS!
still a bargain

over replacing a EJ255/Ej257 engine and turbo.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
I got my fix of "need for speed" with my 72 Datsun 240Z! 125 mph and then I shifted to 4th gear!

****, I'd like to do that one more time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the feed back, i ended up walking away from it and now I am looking at a 2006 impreza outback special edition

1 - 20 of 22 Posts