Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm buying my Mom's outback in December, and I want to put in an Android Auto head unit. I have manual climate controls.

People who have installed an AA head unit, where did you route your female USB cable? Also, do I need to buy a special adapter to install new speakers in the front and rear doors? Going to wait to see if Crutchfield has any Black Friday deals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5i
33 Posts
I fished it out of my ashtray opening. Wire kind of randomly comes out of the side of the ashtray. Not the prettiest, but it does the trick. You could route it to a fitting in the face plate or the arm rest if you were motivated. Don't know about the speakers. I installed a rear camera at the same time. Get the wiring harness and the double DIN face plate, and the wire thingy that makes everything work when not in park. All of that to make installation easier.

1574192417481.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How easy was the backup camera install? I've thought about it but routing the wire through the whole car didn't sound fun.

And do you know if I need that park bypass cable if the car is manual?

·
Registered
328 Posts
How easy was the backup camera install? I've thought about it but routing the wire through the whole car didn't sound fun.

And do you know if I need that park bypass cable if the car is manual?
my usb sits in the glove box ... my head unit has 3 of them ... and regards running the wires for a reverse cam its easy ... you will also be able to run torque pro on your head unit and monitor the engine .... if you are going to do it then do it properly and yes you will need spacers for the speakers as the deeper magnets will hit the window.... my whole up grade cost me about $1200 head unit , 4 Hertz upgraded speakers , kicker sub , kicker amp ... also have reverse cam , hands free, internet , OBD2 diag . Nav , DAB radio the list goes on ....

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
...you will be able to run torque pro on your head unit and monitor the engine ....
Are you running Torque Pro and I assume ActiveOBD to get some of the Subaru specific PIDs on the phone and displaying stuff on the HU? What are you using for OBDII interface, a bluetooth dongle? I'd like to know more. Thx.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you running Torque Pro and I assume ActiveOBD to get some of the Subaru specific PIDs on the phone and displaying stuff on the HU? What are you using for OBDII interface, a bluetooth dongle? I'd like to know more. Thx.
yes mate torque pro and a decent dongle

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
746 Posts
OK.... Question for anyone that knows. Does your phone have to be connected to use the radio apps? Most specifically the torque pro app to monitor engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my usb sits in the glove box ... my head unit has 3 of them ... and regards running the wires for a reverse cam its easy ... you will also be able to run torque pro on your head unit and monitor the engine .... if you are going to do it then do it properly and yes you will need spacers for the speakers as the deeper magnets will hit the window.... my whole up grade cost me about $1200 head unit , 4 Hertz upgraded speakers , kicker sub , kicker amp ... also have reverse cam , hands free, internet , OBD2 diag . Nav , DAB radio the list goes on ....
Can you explain where you routed the backup camera cables? Also, mine will be a manual trans, does that make it easier or harder to setup to work when it's put in reverse? Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can you explain where you routed the backup camera cables? Also, mine will be a manual trans, does that make it easier or harder to setup to work when it's put in reverse? Thanks!
the guy who installed my head unit pretty sure he just connected the signal wire for the reverse cam straight under the gear selector (auto ) then i just ran the cam wire just down the passenger side to the C post then in through the grommet that goes in between the hatch and the body ... and then mounted the cam to the rear trim that goes across the top of the window.... if you put the cam on the trim that runs across the roof lining you dont get a view out of the camera ... hopefully these pics will help explain ..... regards wiring yours up i think you will have to find the signal wire for your reverse light

1 - 13 of 13 Posts