Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was making my 50 mile commute Wednesday when suddenly CEL lit up and immediate knocking from the engine. I pulled over lifted the hood and there was a distinct burning smell (like Oil), pulled the dipstick and only the tip had oil:gasp:. I limped it the last 3 miles to town where I filled it with 2 quarts. Knock was still tremendous so I shut it down and called in the stretcher. My mechanic said that every thing appeared OK(from the outside) then he started it :28: Lower end is a pile of loose parts. The car is 150k miles old. A new (used) engine is $2500 at least and then I am married to it! No thanks!

What are my chances that some Subi enthusiast would like to raise the dead and take it as a project. No dents dings cracks or bruises! OR would it be better to part it, and how do I do that?
Unfortunately I have neither the time or money or Technical Mojo to tackle this on my own, any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
I will give you the same as I tell everyone.

Replace the engine with one from salvage or JDM Engine Depot.

Sell it as is minus 2k off retail value.

List for parts and the buyer has to remove the parts, then run the remainder across the recycler scales for weight pay.

2.5 engines are plentiful and easy to swap out. Takes 2-3 hours. Way your pros and cons with your budget for replacing the vehicle. At the turn of the year a lot is going to change financially and you need to prepare for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a 2007? fix it!!!! Kbb.com still shows a value of 6900-7300. if my 98 died id still fix it- the KBB is 1999-2999 and I know I can get above it in Oregon
If you want to let it loose for a grand ill be down to get it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanic just called, found an engine 105K out the door $3200 - $3800 depending on whether the timing belt has been changed of not. He also has a guy that might buy it as it sits.
thinking on the second option what would a 07 OB no dents, new tires good interior be worth? Before Wednesday the only thing it needed was some new flex pipe on the driver side down pipe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
holy crap! find a new mechanic. that is way steep

he wants 600 to put a timing belt on a engine that is out of the car? I think my cost for a engine would be in the 1600-2000 range for a used.

look around; make some phone calls. get a "your cost" out the door engine from a parts place then see if you can find a decent shop to do an engine swap..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Sackett
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing