Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Suby outback H4 wagon, 2002 Subie outback vdc sedan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove this and give it a good cleaning. I don't see any pictures or write ups on this removal. Can someone guide me or post pictures on how to remove the coolant reservoir tank? i see one rusty bolt on top, but i dont know if you have to remove that bolt and nut to get it out. Is there something that holds the bottom of the coolant overflow to the radiator?
thanks!

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
I would like to remove this and give it a good cleaning. I don't see any pictures or write ups on this removal. Can someone guide me or post pictures on how to remove the coolant reservoir tank? i see one rusty bolt on top, but i dont know if you have to remove that bolt and nut to get it out. Is there something that holds the bottom of the coolant overflow to the radiator?
thanks!
Should snap out. See attached. (I haven't tried it, so please let us know if it works as simply as it seems . . .)

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Suby outback H4 wagon, 2002 Subie outback vdc sedan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it turns out the diagram is a bit misleading. it does snap out, no screws need to be removed. however the tang that needs to be squeezed is not clear from the diagram. also the bottle is held by a hole in a metal flange on the bottom and there is a round extrusion on the underside of the bottle which holds it in place. I will take some pictures to make this easier.:)

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,064 Posts
Have you taken pictures of this yet? I believe the tank is what is leaking on my car.
Standing at the front of the car, there's a small push tab holding in the upper right side of the tank. You push that tab and the tank can rotate out of it's slot. Then, pull the tank up and out. No tools required.

That said, these tanks are tough and barring an accident in the car I can't see how one would go bad and leak. Stranger things have happened but I would suggest your problem is likely coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,581 Posts
Have you taken pictures of this yet? I believe the tank is what is leaking on my car.
Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Original post was done five years ago, but in any case the image posted from the FSM is illustrative enough.

And I suspect like @aesthetic.rake that it's not the tank that's leaking. Look at the radiator cap (should be genuine Subaru, BTW) and also the seam at the top of the radiator. If anything looks doubtful, have a pressure check done on the system. You'll likely find that it's leaking somewhere along the seam of the radiator if your vehicle is a Gen 3.

·
Registered
09 OB
26 Posts
My tank was leaking and I picked one up at the scrappers for less than 9$. Best and cheapest fix ever. I removed the tank and although didn't appear to be any visible cracks, filled it with water, dried the outside, left it in the sink and turns out there was a very slight leak. Could be the plastic is old (10+ years) with high hot cold cycles in our canadian climate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts