Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help explain what's going on. Like many 2007 Outback owners, my right axle boot tore open at 80,000 miles and sprayed grease all over my engine. Nice. I went to the Subaru dealership to have that right front axle shaft replaced. A month or so later I finally noticed why I had been smelling something burning for weeks - the inner stub seal was leaking down onto my exhaust and dripping onto the floor of my garage.

So, I brought it back and they replaced the seal. Same leak, same problem. I brought it back again and they replaced the entire axle again. Same leak, same problem!

So, now what? I will bring it back again this week, but any ideas why after two axle replacements this side is still leaking? The left side with original axle is dry as a bone. But the smell is horrible every time I drive the car and every night the car leaks a few tablespoons ( of transmission fluid, I presume) out of that seal. Would hate for this to lead to future transmissions problems (this is a manual, btw).

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced this reoccurring problem and how they finally solved it.

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
contact Subaru and have a zone or regional manager meet you there. Perhaps push for a different dealership to get involved?

And whoever does the next repair - insist they keep and drive the car for a coupla days while you enjoy a loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I thought I was crazy same thing happened with me too..I have a 2008 Outback and my front passenger axle the boot was torn and Subaru replaced the entire axle with a new one or re manufactured OEM subaru axle...My friend is a tech at subaru and he told me that they won't replace a torn boot they just replace the entire axle especially if it's warranty because subaru pays for it. Plus my driver side axle has been leaking grease it sprays it all over my cross member and Subaru told me it wasn't a concern and they didn't replace it. I recommend calling SOA/Writing them an email. That's what I spent my weekend doing. My headgaskets were replaced on my 08 outback 6k ago and my car started overheating again...My car has 79k on it...There's no reason for axles to be failing under 100k....My old subaru when i got rid of it with 170k was still on the original axles...honestly I don't think I will be buying another Subaru after this one...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Sounds like we've been having the same problems. I had just over 80k when my right front axle boot failed. I also had to have the head gasket replaced around 50k. In addition, the rear wheel bearings failed around 30k. All of the wiring at to be replaced for the rear gate and lights to function again. Honestly, I feel like the design of this car is a complete disaster. This is my first Subaru and I bought it under the impression that this is one of the most reliable cars. But in fact my FORD Explorer I owned before was way less work than this vehicle, even at twice the miles! What's the deal? Did everyone who bought a 2005-2008 Outback end up with a Lemon?

I thought I was crazy same thing happened with me too..I have a 2008 Outback and my front passenger axle the boot was torn and Subaru replaced the entire axle with a new one or re manufactured OEM subaru axle...My friend is a tech at subaru and he told me that they won't replace a torn boot they just replace the entire axle especially if it's warranty because subaru pays for it. Plus my driver side axle has been leaking grease it sprays it all over my cross member and Subaru told me it wasn't a concern and they didn't replace it. I recommend calling SOA/Writing them an email. That's what I spent my weekend doing. My headgaskets were replaced on my 08 outback 6k ago and my car started overheating again...My car has 79k on it...There's no reason for axles to be failing under 100k....My old subaru when i got rid of it with 170k was still on the original axles...honestly I don't think I will be buying another Subaru after this one...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh wow, that's lame...Yeah this is my second subaru...I've been on the phone with SOA and they are a bit helpful, but my car just started overheating again...and now I have to take it to the dealer again, and they need to address a clunking sound too...I admit I am rough on my car sometimes but I maintain religiously...changing diff fluid every 10k drain and refill on my trans every other oil change...oil changes w/synthetic mobile 1 every 3k, plus the maintence at the dealer...my car has not been neglected in terms of maintence and this is what happens

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not to mention I questioned the salesmen who sold me the car...I asked him about the headgaskets and he was like yeah yeah subaru addressed the problem...I mean I didn't believe him but I believe subaru will have this problem with their 2.5n/a motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm waiting to hear back from SOA to find out what to do about this 2nd replacement leaking axle seal. Ridiculous.

The important point to make here is that my car, since buying it new, has not been treated poorly at all. I drive the speed limit and garage it every night. And still the vehicle started coughing up blood on it's own within the first two years.

Oh, I also failed to mentioned in my last message that the fuel gauge gets stuck on full when the tank is anywhere between full and 3/4 of a tank. Does that happen to anyone else? Good luck getting Subaru to do anything about it (this has been occurring since day 1)

Not to mention I questioned the salesmen who sold me the car...I asked him about the headgaskets and he was like yeah yeah subaru addressed the problem...I mean I didn't believe him but I believe subaru will have this problem with their 2.5n/a motor

·
Registered
622 Posts
Like I said, I am religious on maintaining my car....there's no reason for some of these problems...it's more fustrating than anything else...I'm taking my car to its 3rd dealer today...I dealt with curry subaru earlier this summer they did my headgaskets...replaced my axle..but failed to mention to me there was a serious problem with my car when they gave it back to me..so i nearly destroyed my drivetrain to keep my story short...but Im just getting sick of dealing with subaru

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just had my 06 outback in the dealer today for pass side inner boot replacment.
My dealer only replaces the whole axle if there is water in the cv joint or if the jointis clicking when thery drive it.
While in today they called and said the driver side boot was about to split so i had them replace that one too.
I have 83 k on my outback. I think it is a poor design on SOA part to have the pass side inner boot sit about 2 " above the exhaust .
I also had my head gaskets replaced under warrenty at 59 k miles.

Mike K
South Jersey .

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's amazing how on the phase II motor Subaru claimed they fixed the head gasket problem...when in fact the redesigned motor just caused an external head gasket failure...and I was assured with the 3rd generation outback that the problem was resolved and it seems it wasn't..From what I've been reading on the threads these motors are just as prone to blowing their head gaskets as the older motors...The mechanic who worked on my car told me it's just the design of the motors which does make sense but still...to be having this problem for so long just baffles me....That's what makes me the most upset about my car...not the drive train issues, the axles, or anything...it's the fact that my car had it's head gaskets replaced...at 6k later...my car starts overheating again...That's my little rant

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
And the fact that the Turbo motors don't have the issue makes you really scratch your head...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ive heard from talking with my dealer and such that the main reason the turbo engines throughout the subaru line dont blow head gaskets are because they use a closed deck design instead of an open deck design that the normal aspirated engines use.

Mike K
South jersey.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just picked up my car from the dealer, I took it there and they couldn't duplicate the overheating..but told me to monitor my coolant and temp carefully...they also replaced my driverside axle and swaybar bushings or links(It's been a long day) but on the upside the front end of my car is much tighter...at least for now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is just getting ridiculous... Started out as a all-too-common busted boot and has now turned into a multi-month, two replacement right front axles, in addition to three times into the shop for a replacement seal, and the thing is still leaking transmission fluid all over! And this is a huge Subaru dealership garage with plenty of experience with axle replacements. They claimed to have fired one of their mechanics for installing the seal in crooked? Is that even possible? And then claimed they had another adjust it and it still makes no difference. Did they completely f-up my transmission or what? Am I completely alone with this issue?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I could only see a boot being installed one way..and it seems difficult to install a boot crooked...then again I've never replaced just a boot, I've replaced entire axles on my own. I am beyond done with subaru, my next car is going to be a volkswagen or audi or something

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm not talking just a boot replacement, I'm talking the entire axle - - it's been leaking from where the axle meets the transmission. Just spewing out all around and landing on the exhaust for an awful stench.

It's really sad how I've completely lost confidence in Subaru too. I was convinced buying an Outback was going to be a good choice for the long haul, only to have so many issues with the thing since it was new. :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh jeeze that's no good, yeah if subaru was the last to mess with it let them deal with it...It sucks to be without a car...and when I was without a car I had to complain to corporate because the dealer couldn't provide me a loaner and they wouldn't cover a rental car...SOA has been a little bit helpful but my car has been to the dealer too many times to count this year...4 different dealers to be exact and few times more than once so

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
Yeah, I'm not talking just a boot replacement, I'm talking the entire axle - - it's been leaking from where the axle meets the transmission. Just spewing out all around and landing on the exhaust for an awful stench.

It's really sad how I've completely lost confidence in Subaru too. I was convinced buying an Outback was going to be a good choice for the long haul, only to have so many issues with the thing since it was new. :(
In all fairness, that particular failure is not common - but you may have a legitimate complaint about the dealership. maybe take it somewhere else and/or get a Regional SOA guy involved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts