Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last May I got my 2007 Outback, shortly afterwards a neighbor got the XV Crosstrek in tangerine orange pearl.

now i see the XV every single day, and i like it, a lot.

i can't go out and buy me a new XV, and i like the extra storage my OB has anyway. so not getting rid of it.

But i like the look of the XV so much that i am seriously considering repainting my OB bright orange and matte black. i'd use plasti-dip, even though their orange is brighter (for ease of undoing incase i don't like the result.) and i'll matte the wheels and most of the body plastic molding. obviously have to redo the grille a bit, but i planned on doing that anyway.

thoughts? questions? suggestions?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
So, you will be plasti-dipping your entire car? Probably a good idea if you ever try to sell it since you will be using a bright orange, but I wouldn't give it more than a week before you are doing touch-ups all over the place if it turns out okay to begin with.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Orange is one of those colors that people buy, and a few years later some regret it. It's an impulse color.

I wonder what your neighbor would think about the copy?

Also, you don't see the color while driving the car which is where most of your car time is. You have the best situation as it's sits. You have great car that isn't a target and you get to look at a brand new XV all the time. Your mock up will never measure up to the real thing.

I suspect you came on here to get talked out of it, and I'm just trying to help. ;)

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
I'm a big fan of BP outbacks, Crosstrek XVs, many shades of orange and I have more faith in repaints than most, but this doesn't sound like a good plan. this is one of those times you need to go big or go home.

If you put $10k into the paint job to show your neighbor what an awesome orange Subaru looks like, I say game on. A $10k paint job will speak for itself.

If you're going to do it with rattlecans and a crooked smile, plan on showing it off with 100 clowns exiting. I say go get a job writing for Saturday night live, they need some more pranks.

Anywhere in between these and it will come off awkward and ugly.

Either way take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
Plasti dip on small areas is very easy but over large areas its hard to get an even coat that looks nice.

What about a vinyl wrap?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
Plasti dip on small areas is very easy but over large areas its hard to get an even coat that looks nice.

What about a vinyl wrap?
I agree w jachue22, the only way to get an even coat using plastidip is to have a pressurized paint gun- rattle won't come out nice. Getting the proper material for plastidipping you'd spend as much money as a cheap paint job. Vinyl wrap would be the best option if you we're looking to return the car back to it's original color in the future. That's still a pretty penny though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'd suggest a wrap as well. Plastidip over large areas rarely looks even. Ultimately your OB would look like somebody took a can of cheap spray paint to it. Part of what makes the paint job on the SV look so good is that glossy finish. If you don't want your OB to look like an old highway worker vehicle I'd recommend dropping some coinage.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually wasn't really looking to get talked out of it, i'm pretty set that i'm going to do it. - if i get enough money, space and time.

future plans need to happen before i can, like i need to buy a house, with a garage to have the space to setup for this.

i planned on buying the full car kit that has a proper spray gun and borrowing my dad's air compressor to do it right.

not sure if it would be matte orange, i planned on buying the kit and the "glossifier".

yes plastidip because i want to be able to undo it if i find out i was an idiot.

even if i don't get to do the whole car orange i do plan on matte black for the wheels and a few plastic molding pieces

i'd much prefer the tangerine orange pearl or a slightly darker orange than what plastidip sells, but i think if i mixed some red in that might help.

to recap: not happening anytime soon, it's winter here anyway. maybe by the end of summer i'll have bought a house, which will increase my chances of successfully doing something like this.

anything i do to the car will be properly documented and uploaded here for your torment or praise.

·
Registered
557 Posts
actually wasn't really looking to get talked out of it, i'm pretty set that i'm going to do it. - if i get enough money, space and time.
anything i do to the car will be properly documented and uploaded here for your torment or praise.
good for you!

you have an idea and you're thinking about the best way to go about it.

do want you want and i wish you the best of luck.

joel

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
i think its a bad idea if your neighbor has an orange XV. if you're really crazy about the plastidip, why not the lime green on lambos or that dumb triangle camo **** everyone does in plastidip? not my cup of tea but it should look good for a while.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Dude - seriously - you've (already) got the best looking OB series that Subaru has put out to date. No offense meant to others but the older are well, older and the 4th gen are elongated and raised Foresters (Forester will be my next car, so not hating on those...).

Also, if you still want info on the trailer wire routing I can help. I put in a Class 3 hitch and generic 4 pin light set last year in my 2006 OB.

Leave the paint alone, put in tint and some 16 inch wheels to save $ on tires down the road.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
good for you!

you have an idea and you're thinking about the best way to go about it.

do want you want and i wish you the best of luck.

joel
+1

Op- Of course if you buy a house, that won't be your neighbor anymore anyway haha! It's cool you got tough enough skin to say, meh I'm doing it anyway just wanted to know the best way!

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
why not the lime green like on lambos .
funny i said that a few hours ago and then i found this pic just now on facebook

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Whatever color your car is now, I think you should leave it that way. You could, however, change out the wheels to those of the XV. That's as far as I'd go, however.

My 0.02.
You could probably fake out a bunch of XV owners this way- they will all wonder about this new color choice the dealer didn't tell them about.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After you paint your car you should start dressing like your neighbor just to freak him out.
he's not my next-door neighbor, he (or she) lives about 1/2 mile away we apparently have somewhat similar schedules. I see his (or her) XV everywhere, but never really looked at the driver, just mesmerized by the awesome orange.

I want to go on record stating: I DO NOT think that the Plasti-Dip orange is the orange i want.

I plan on using the plasti-dip as a base for a darker reddish orange (if i could color match Tangerine Orange Pearl i would), and if it comes out bad or the wife says **** no then i can easily undo the offending sections, unlike if i had used real paint.

of course i could probably do a mockup if i was any good at photoshop, but i'm not.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
You could make a better mockup with a fender or hood pulled from the junkyard. Or just a gas filler door if you need to keep the project compact.

This would let you test color mixes, application methods etc. then carry it outside, view it in different lighting etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts