Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SUb Outback wagon - don't know the engine, ask me a medical question .. lol
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Subi wagon just bit the dust - the mechanic tells us the engine died d/t lack of keeping the oil up to snuff (our fault) and we need to replace it. It's a 2007 outback wagon and my wife LOVES it, however having no sense of upkeep on it as nor do I (obviously as the mechanic told us you have to keep putting oil in it on a regular basis as this year engine has a tendency to burn more of it.) We thot we were doing a good job but it must have gotten away from us, we let out niece borrow the car and next thing you know - dead on the road.

Anyhow, my son has a 2003 Impreza with a turbo 2.0 liter engine he says we can have if we want it. I recall paying $1200, for it when we bought it for him when his first engine blew.

My question is simple - will his engine mount up to our car's transmission? I know I could ask the mech but a little advance understanding will go along way for easing our minds.

thanks for any reply.

Scott

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
That will not be plug and go, no.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,569 Posts
Good time to point out to all the oil level behavior I've observed for my 120k EJ253 in my 2008:

First 2k miles after a change - oil level stays pretty constant
Every 1K thereafter to 4k - 1/2 quart consumption every 1k

I check every second fillup, ~700 miles or so, to play it safe. I have noted that the 2k "constant level" interval seems to be slowly declining.

The first 2k miles tend to lull you into complacency and not checking any further. That's a bad thing to do.

I was tipped off on this nonlinear consumption by the mechanic who did my HG repair - he's seen a lot of this.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
I was tipped off on this nonlinear consumption by the mechanic who did my HG repair - he's seen a lot of this.
Remember in the old days, they would say... "Oh, he passed because of the consumption". That is what they used as a quasi-medical term for being an alcoholic.

Cherry Bomb as a bit of the consumption problem. I am trying to "correct her"

I have changed the PCV assembly, which has helped. But once a user, always a user.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
Consumption = TB. ??

Reactions: DavidPeab

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
Consumption = TB. ??
Throttle Body?

Cherry is pretty bad there as well. Pulling 16.8 mpg on this tank so far. Her tune is a little rich tho.

You are right, the right foot isn't helping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts