Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with 52k miles. Friend had Subaru replace both head gaskets today (see other thread). Subaru said they heard a bad rear wheel bearing during the post-repair test drive. Quoted $322 to fix. Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like it has a sealed hib just like my Toyota and Lexus cars. Is that right? If yes, the job appears very straightforward for a DIY. Am I missing something (besides a few loose screws, that is)?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Easy DIY as pretty much all of the servicing on the 2.5 is nearly weekend wrench type DIY type stuff which is one reason why these cars are popular.

Be sure to check that his car does not fall under the rear wheel bearing coverage which subaru did for some time due to wheel bearing issues 05 through 07 I think

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy DIY as pretty much all of the servicing on the 2.5 is nearly weekend wrench type DIY type stuff which is one reason why these cars are popular.

Be sure to check that his car does not fall under the rear wheel bearing coverage which subaru did for some time due to wheel bearing issues 05 through 07 I think
Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention this is a 2.5I with AWD. Does that make the hub change out much more difficult?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention this is a 2.5I with AWD. Does that make the hub change out much more difficult?
Nope easy stuff NASOIC forums had a step by step instructions with pictures a few years back I did mine using it easy stuff. Rears might even be available already pressed into the hub for less than the cost of having the old pressed out and the new pressed in.

Check the online subaru parts stores there are a couple of them which are basically Subaru dealers selling parts online under a second company name.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope easy stuff NASOIC forums had a step by step instructions with pictures a few years back I did mine using it easy stuff. Rears might even be available already pressed into the hub for less than the cost of having the old pressed out and the new pressed in.

Check the online subaru parts stores there are a couple of them which are basically Subaru dealers selling parts online under a second company name.
Yep, I did some more looking and all of the 07 Outback wagons are AWD. This hub assy looks pretty standard and I would say it will be chaeper in the long run to get the assy. I don't think you can even buy the bearing separate. I think these hubs are sealed units and are not designed to have the bearing replaced separately.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
The 07 has an integrated hub/bearing at all four wheels. No pressing of bearings. Also, I would suggest using a genuine Subaru part -- there are threads here (including one or two in the last month) where aftermarket hubs were used and there were problems with the Cruise Control and/or ABS. (Relates to the magnetic wheel speed sensor strip on the back of the hub.) There's a DIY for 2006 OB here at: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/46552-05-09-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 07 has an integrated hub/bearing at all four wheels. No pressing of bearings. Also, I would suggest using a genuine Subaru part -- there are threads here (including one or two in the last month) where aftermarket hubs were used and there were problems with the Cruise Control and/or ABS. (Relates to the magnetic wheel speed sensor strip on the back of the hub.) There's a DIY for 2006 OB here at: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/46552-05-09-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing.html
Great link - thank-you!! A couple questions:

1. Do I really need a new axle nut?

2. I have also read where updated Subaru hubs continue to fail at a high rate even though no more recalls since the 05-06 problems. Aftermarket hubs may cause ABS problems but Subaru hubs are also troublesome. I wonder if the problem is with magnetized tools or people damaging the speed sensor instead of the aftermarket hub itself?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Great link - thank-you!! A couple questions:

1. Do I really need a new axle nut?

2. I have also read where updated Subaru hubs continue to fail at a high rate even though no more recalls since the 05-06 problems. Aftermarket hubs may cause ABS problems but Subaru hubs are also troublesome. I wonder if the problem is with magnetized tools or people damaging the speed sensor instead of the aftermarket hub itself?
Yes you need a new nut you dog the top of it ie dent it where a notch is in the end of the axle to keep it from backing off. You will mangle the top edge of it to undog it from the notch when you remove it.

The bearing thing I suspect is a a flawed install process or a hub fitting that is not square which causes the bearing to fail early due to it not riding square.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bearing thing I suspect is a a flawed install process or a hub fitting that is not square which causes the bearing to fail early due to it not riding square.
Are you talking about premature failure of the hub bearing or reported problems with ABS/cruise control because speed sensor can't read speed of aftermarket hub?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just replaced my LR hub for the second time at 147k. First was at 27k, under warranty. I don't know what is so abusive about the LR corner but I went with a Timken bearing-hub instead. The ABS sensor is a plastic projection that could be easily knocked. New nut is best but I didn't have one so made do with the original. The private shop billed me a reasonable 1.6 hours. It's been a month and all is quiet and well- braking and driving.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
I wonder if the problem is with magnetized tools or people damaging the speed sensor instead of the aftermarket hub itself?
Good question. As others have noted, the speed sensor is in a vulnerable location, and the magnetic strip on the back of the wheel bearing hub presumably can be affected by magnetic materials.

Here's what my 2007 FSM says:

"CAUTION:
• Be careful not to damage the magnetic encoder.
• Do not get closer the tool which charged
magnetism to magnetic encoder.
"

It also says to remove the sensor before removing the old hub.

It could also be the installation technique. The FSM warns against tightening the axle nut with the wheel installed.

"CAUTION:
• Install the wheel after installation of axle nut.
Failure to follow this rule may damage the
wheel bearing.
• Be sure to tighten the axle nut to specified
torque. Do not overtighten it as this may damage
the wheel bearing.
"

See attached (2007 FSM):

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing