Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend was driving home from work when her oil pressure light came on and car started smoking abit apparently smelt like burnt oil. So I went and had a look and found where the oil was leaking from. Found a pool of oil under her car we would just like to know if it’s an easy fix and how to go about fixing it as by the look of it someone has put gasket sealer on it before, looks like it had popped out. We do not make much money so it is hard pressed to bring to the shop and would love to get it fixed. I have attached a picture.
thankyou so much everyone

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,345 Posts
Fortunately for you that's the right side, and also, the best side that that could have happened on. Indeed it looks like someone has slathered some ultragrey on there. I don't know the part number off the top of my head but most auto parts stores will have them, or be able to get them. Just pull that one out, put a little ultragrey around the outside edge of the new one and drive it in. Don't drive it too deep, just until it's flush. Use a socket that barely covers the cap so you drive in around the edges instead of crushing the face. Try to drive it in as even as you can.

This is the first time I've seen one of these come out. I suspect someone re-used the cap instead of replacing it like they should have. Instead of ultragreying the edge of it and gluing it in that way, which may have worked, they just glued the face of it which obviously didn't.

Pro-tip.. don't put too much ultragrey on it. Just a little.. just enough to cover the surface. Too much is bad bad bad.

Reactions: seagrass

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,325 Posts
Yep. That looks like some shotty work.

As long as it didn't start knocking and banging you may be good with the engine after fixing the end cap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts