Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My subbie is leaking below the passenger rear cam plug when the engine is running. I beleive it is not leaking out the end of the cap. I cleaned the area and see fresh oil dripping from directly under the housing. I don't get it. There is an Allen bolt underneath the cam plug housing as well. What does that do? Should I tighten or reseal the allen bolt? It looks like the is a separation. Should I just replace the cap?

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Sure it's not coming from higher up? There's an oil pressure switch at the top rear of the right side head (and another at the front of the left side head). These switches are prone to leaking. Oil that accumulates on the top of the head will run down the back of the head. See photos in the first post of http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49468-variable-valve-lift-oil-pressure-switch-resistance.html.

If definitely not from that area, also check around the mount for the Oil Pressure Solenoid valve. It's not common, but there's a joint there that could possibly develop a leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts