Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota unveiled the upcoming entry level SUV (aimed at the Xterra). The 4.0 v6 and 6-speed from the Tacoma will be available. What does everyone think?

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
The color scheme makes me want to puke. The roof rack lights stick out too much. The need to be integrated better. And the pillar behind the passenger door is much too wide. They should replace it with more veiwable window space. The trim around the wheel wells is too squarish, and the tail lights come out too far. They look voulnerable to scratching and breaking. I think the triple wipers are killer though!

·
Registered
665 Posts
The passenger rearview mirror makes it look like a Tonka toy myself!

Are those suicide doors like on the RX-8?

Jay

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
I think it looks pretty sweet, I think it may just be what Honda had intended the Element to be :p I love the retro styling though, it makes me think of how incredible the old Toyota cruisers were back in the 70's. Those things were tanks and I'm sure thats the image Toyota wants to promote with this vehicle. I'd say its just as capable as a 4Runner, and I'd buy one if I actually needed a 4WD vehicle :)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yes it does seem to adhere to the ugly-is-cute philosophy, though the grille is refreshingly simple and reminiscent of the older Toyotas.

I wonder if the roof lights are wired like the Baja, working only with the parking brake on.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The_Lizard said:
I wonder if the roof lights are wired like the Baja, working only with the parking brake on.
It also has "spot" lights on each side view mirror.

Yes, there are rear doors that are "suicide" or "clamshell"

The interior has a rubber floor similar to the element.

sduford-
You hit the nail on the head. It appears to be 40% element and 40% h2 with 10% of the old FJ throw in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well,

Its like this. A co-worker once said, " In about ten years there'll be alot nice used huntin' vehicles. "

It looks like its got one nice blind spot to me.

05 2.5i 5spd

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Well, the whole thing is a Mobile Blind Spot. They show it all alone out in the wild, but guess who gets screwed when something like that parks next to you and you can't see when you pull out of your parking space...

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I'd have to have it parked face in to the window: from the front it's got some appeal and a sense of heritage (agree that the roof lights are too prominant). From the side, it looks like an unfinished design. Why they'd release it in that color for a PR spot escapes me--except of course that the main appeal will be in Westchester County, where as you know there's lots of off-roading to be done on the way to the mall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First of all, my wife and I have a running joke about the Element; every time we see one, we say "Oh good, now I have a place to put my shoes!" Meaning - the thing looks like a shoebox with wheels.

Now on to this toyota:

Question: What the FRACK was Toyota thinking???! I mean, the whole car/truck/whatever wants very badly to be an FJ40 LandCruiser, but will never get there. The roof rack lights look like a poorly-planned afterthought, and the grill reminds me of what Ford was trying to go for with the new Mustang....and FAILED.

I mean, if Toyota really wanted to pull this off, they should have formatted the new FJ based on a Jeep-style chassis like the original. I mean, no removeable roof??! C'mon, Toy can do better.

As it stands, this new heap looks like it should never have rolled off the drafting table, let alone even be made into a concept vehicle, and now being considered for production? Blech...my deepest regret is that now I'm going to have to look at these things on the road for who knows how long!

Just my 2 cents....

Bring back the REAL FJ40

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree - Bring back the FJ40! That is by far my favorite 4x4. Definitely one of my restoration projects of the next decade. Built like a tank....and jumpseats! also, with the right tires, it can go over ANYTHING! Sigh... and nowadays they could bring one of those back with 20-25mpg from a decent V6. No need for this shock-and-awe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this thing is more about image than anything, yuppie gangster style. I doubt you'll ever see one doing any serious offroading. Also looks way too cartoon like. Having owned an xterra I see no comparison. The xterra was odd and original and was built with true utility in mind. My xterra made it over a few 14ers in my Colorado days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that they displayed it in the blue/white color scheme because that was one of the original FJs colors, and that that is the most memorable one for people... It does look very unsafe with that pillar being so wide that you dont get any backing up sight. the only modern toyota that i like was the 90-98 toyota 4runners, those looked pretty cool. toyotas really gone down the hole latley with all their crap designs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
Frojo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing