Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Outback, 2.5 SOHC, with 70K miles. I'm look ahead to when I will need the timing belt replaced. I also have a 2009 Forester with the 2.5 SOHC. So I want to do the belt my self, that will save money between the two cars.

Its a year or two away, but I wanted to check if I need any special tools.

I have the Subaru shop manual for both cars, I down loaded from the Subaru USA site. Bought the 3 day subscriptions and downloaded both complete manuals.

Do I need to buy the special tools for the cam sprocket? or will a chain wrench work?

Do I need the special tools for the oil seal installations? Or can I can I mix and match sockets to press the seals in (if I need to replay them.)

this site has all the tools available, https://subaru.spx.com/ . If I buy them all it will be over $200, still less than paying someone to do two timing belts. I'll buy them if needed, but wanted to check here first. If I need them, I'll start looking at ebay and maybe some of the tools will pop up.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts