Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!

I have a Gen4 Outback so I joined the forum here, I purchased a 2008 Impreza that needs a new motor and looking for compatibility advice.

The 2008 has an Auto 4Spd and 2.5i but the motor has a bad bearing. I have looked at a few sites and gotten conflicting information. From one site that said an 'Impreza 2.5i ONLY, from 2007-2010', to another site that said 'Any 2.5i subie from 2006-2011'.

Which one is right? What about the Transmission? Is going from a stick to an auto just a flex plate change or is it a lot more involved than that? Will the newer trany from a 2010 Outback/Forester be able to swap right in with the motor?? (in case the trany has issues) Any other issues I should look out for when buying a donor car??

Obviously, being able to source a forester/legacy/outback motor gives me more options to choose from and the newer the vehicle the better shape the motor 'should' be in. Any Help, Opinions, Points to consider would be Greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,571 Posts
It depends on the extent of your "plug and play" definition.

100% drop-in, 08-11 Impreza and Forester

Intake manifold and harness change: 08-10 Legacy/OB and 08-11 Impreza/Forester

Short block: 06-10 Legacy/OB, 06-11 Impreza/Foz (cylinder heads will also work, but require camshaft change as the 06/07 camshafts are not the same spec as 08+).

Simple flexplate/flywheel change is all that is needed (if required). The 4EAT is less compatible, considering the final drive ratios. IIRC, Outback/Legacy went CVT with the non-turbo 2.5L in 2010 so that's out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoughDiamond!! That increases the vehicles I can source from a Lot.

Clarification, you said '100% drop-in, 08-11 Impreza and Forester - Intake manifold and harness change: 08-10 Legacy/OB and 08-11 Impreza/Forester' What did you mean by intake/harness change needed for the 08-11 impreza/forester??

The local dealer said most shortblocks would work but a drop in would NEED to be from an 08-10 Impreza with a 6 VIN digit of a 6. I found a couple wrecks that run, for much less than the 2500 the local parts yard wants for a decent running motor. I was hoping I could get a Gen4 Outback and be able to use the motor for the Impreza and misc parts for my 2011 outback. Do you know if there is a write up on the harness changes? (an intake swap in't a big deal really, I'd be doing the timing belt and other maint while it was out anyways.)

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Same Shortblock;
2006-2010 - Forester
2006-2009 - Legacy and Outback
2006-2011 - Impreza
Note: 2006-2007 has SOHC V25 heads(AVLS), 2008-2011 has SOHC T25 heads(AVLS). I'm not sure what the differences are in the heads but I have interchanged them several times with no issues.

Longblocks can all be interchanged with the years and models listed above but in many cases you will have to use the intake manifold, temp sensors(the sensor on the passenger cylinderhead and sensor on the coolant cross tube), and some times the coolant cross tube, from the car the engine is going into.

As of 2006, the pistons are quite a bit different then 2005 and older. Because of this I've never tried to use an older shortblock in a 2006+ car.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
I've found Forester has different intake manifold, temp sensors and coolant crosstube then Impreza. But as I said before you can use these parts from your original engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sooby!
I guess getting aGen4 outback is out then LOL
Changing the intake and a couple sensors isn't too bad, at least Its not changing the harness, soldering in new plugs, adding wires, etc ;-)

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,571 Posts
Clarification, you said '100% drop-in, 08-11 Impreza and Forester - Intake manifold and harness change: 08-10 Legacy/OB and 08-11 Impreza/Forester' What did you mean by intake/harness change needed for the 08-11 impreza/forester??
I worded it a bit ackwardly, but I mean as a group, the 08-11 Impreza/Foz are also applicable. No modifications needed on 08-11.

If you do an intake swap, the harness goes with it. Assuming there's nothing wrong with the original, you'd use that et al. Few bolts, connectors, and some patience, and it's a direct swap.

I was hoping I could get a Gen4 Outback and be able to use the motor for the Impreza and misc parts for my 2011 outback.
Gen4 Legacy/OB is the most difficult to swap into a 3rd gen of all the options. Short block is radically different, intake and wiring are very different, and cam profiles are changed (again). You could use the short block, but that would require some drilling and tapping of the block to mate the correct oil pan and you'd still have to swap intakes. The only advantage to your 2011 would be an extra intake/harness/electronics. Which are not known to fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts