Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the parts page, but this page seems more active

I ordered a replacement hub for my 08. I used a Timken on the left side two years ago, and the right is now starting to make noise. I ordered the same Timken from RockAuto. Opened the box and Timken now sources the part to S. Korea. I don't recall the label on the box in 2016. I always associate Timken with quality when it comes to bearings, as good as any bearing you can buy. Anyone have experience with these Korean hubs? You also don't know where the Korean supplier sources the bearing from, could be China.

If the moderator pulls this i'll understand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5
18 Posts
I JUST dropped a new front wheel bearing in my 06 today; just as with yours, "Made in South Korea" was on the box. I also ordered a Timken rear bearing to install at a later date, but it has "Made in the USA" emblazoned on it.

Overall I'd hope a South Korean manufactured hub should still be fine as long as, like you said, the manufacturer hasn't started sourcing some new cheaper bearings from somewhere. I guess we'll have to wait to see if these hubs are still as good as the ones sold previously...

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I JUST dropped a new front wheel bearing in my 06 today; just as with yours, "Made in South Korea" was on the box. I also ordered a Timken rear bearing to install at a later date, but it has "Made in the USA" emblazoned on it.

Overall I'd hope a South Korean manufactured hub should still be fine as long as, like you said, the manufacturer hasn't started sourcing some new cheaper bearings from somewhere. I guess we'll have to wait to see if these hubs are still as good as the ones sold previously...

Fingers crossed.
Did your front bearing come out easily? I'm guessing WA doesn't have the Rust we have in NJ and MD. Did you use a slide hammer?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other question. The hub is stiff, you need to turn it by hand, it turns freely, but has resistance so it doesn't spin like a bearing, is this normal?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5
18 Posts
Did your front bearing come out easily? I'm guessing WA doesn't have the Rust we have in NJ and MD. Did you use a slide hammer?
I wasn’t expecting much of an issue with rust since my car has been in western WA it’s whole life. Big mistake! I should have had a slide hammer; instead I had three plus hours of penetrating oil & contortionist hammering to break it loose. I used a bronze dowel (1.5” diameter section from a very old boat driveshaft) as a punch to hammer against the inside(CV) side of the hub, and that was the only way it was coming out! I needed the job done to drive to work the next morning, so I had no choice but to try any/everything to get it finished in one session.

Definitely not going to underestimate this job the next go around!

Also - my new bearing seemed a bit stiff as well, but has been perfect now driving the car. Did you happen to look closer at the markings on the bearing portion (CV side) before you installed it? After putting mine in, I checked the new rear “made in the USA” hub I also bought, and it had an NSK bearing in there... no worries when that one goes in :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts