Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the diverter go out of adjustment? It seems like when I have the selector to floor, less air comes out of the vent than normal. The FSM doesnt seem to show an adjustment.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,762 Posts
It's possible for the externally mounted solenoid that moves the HVAC box flaps to not respond correctly to signals provided by the AC Amplifier, and not move full travel. These are usually 5 terminal devices, with 3 of them used for tracking position by way of a variable resistor. The resistor sweep area can get warn, and it records a high resistance spot sooner than it should in it's travel and tells the motor to stop moving.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,762 Posts
I don't have a manual to be absolutely sure, but I'd be really surprised if any of the Gen-III models still used mechanical cable operated flaps. Airmix door a remote possibility on the single temperature systems. The mode (def/vent/floor) was even electrically driven on my Gen-II Outback.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Can the diverter go out of adjustment? It seems like when I have the selector to floor, less air comes out of the vent than normal. The FSM doesnt seem to show an adjustment.
Perhaps some comparison to other Gen 3, manual HVAC mode controller positions would verify if it's stopping in the right position. For example, here's a photo of the mode actuator on my 2007, when it's supposed to be in the Floor position. The actuator movement can be seen by opening the glove box door and removing the storage holder for the Owners Manual. (This was originally posted in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/469194-2005-obw-dyi-hvac-vent-mode-actuator-repair.html, which might also be of interest. There's a short video in post #5 showing the positions of the half-moon white part for each mode setting.)

If it might help, I can try to shoot similar photos of the mechanism at other settings to provide more for comparison with yours.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
I don't have a manual to be absolutely sure, but I'd be really surprised if any of the Gen-III models still used mechanical cable operated flaps. Airmix door a remote possibility on the single temperature systems. The mode (def/vent/floor) was even electrically driven on my Gen-II Outback.
Airmix door, i.e., the temperature control, is cable operated. The mode control is electrical as in your Gen 2.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts. I'll remove the glove box, and look in the morning. The FSM seems light on descriptions of the controls for the vents.

Luckily its the floor position that is weak and not the defrost, so its nut an urgent repair.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
. . . I'll remove the glove box, and look in the morning. The FSM seems light on descriptions of the controls for the vents. . . .
Just to clarify; to view the actuator, as in my photo, the glove box doesn't need to be removed. The holder for the Owners Manual can be worked out without any further disassembly.

Let us know what you find.

Incidentally, I've never found the floor outlets to have a lot of air volume. It seems to come out of the openings at a fairly slow rate for some reason. But if your's has definitely changed, then that's something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts