Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one issue after 3000 miles on the engine after the head gaskets were done. the Fel-Pro rocker cover gasket on the right side is leaking. I haven't pulled a plug to see if the tunnel is leaking also. I'll contact the garage that did the work, I'm not worried they will honor the work. New cover bolts were also installed.

But are the Fel-Pros a good gasket? Am I better getting Subaru from the dealer?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
I have one issue after 3000 miles on the engine after the head gaskets were done. the Fel-Pro rocker cover gasket on the right side is leaking. I haven't pulled a plug to see if the tunnel is leaking also. I'll contact the garage that did the work, I'm not worried they will honor the work. New cover bolts were also installed.

But are the Fel-Pros a good gasket? Am I better getting Subaru from the dealer?
I cannot talk about Fel-Pro gaskets. I used OEM rocker cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets and replaced the driver side myself. (I did this not because my rocker covers gaskets were leaking but spark plug tube gaskets.) Neither new OEM rocker cover gaskets leak after 50K miles nor old rocker cover gaskets leaked at 90K miles. On the other hand, new OEM spark plug tube gaskets leak sightly now.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I replaced the original VC and tube seal gaskets with Fel-Pro parts on our 2008 OBS (EJ253) at @100K miles due to leaking tube seals. Presently at @132K miles, no visual issues. Will check carefully when I do my plugs at @150K miles and will replace again if necessary. Fel-Pro is alright.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Depending on the leak, may be a loose cover bolt. Generally, Fel-Pro gaskets are considered good, cheaper option to OE. I've been using Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets for a long time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can the Right/Passenger side rocker cover be removed without lifting the engine or removing the fuel rail? The FSM states remove fuel injector rail prior to removing cover.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Can the Right/Passenger side rocker cover be removed without lifting the engine or removing the fuel rail? The FSM states remove fuel injector rail prior to removing cover.
You do not need to remove the fuel rail. You do need to jack the engine up just a bit to get the rear lower bolt out and to ease the removal of the cover.

I would think that the gasket is partially rolled, or has a blem spot. You sure he used FelPro and not some crap from Auto Zone? Just because the invoice says Fel Pro, doesn't mean that's what he used, but this is just me as I recall several hundred cars that come in with invoices for parts that say one brand and some crap brand was installed that doesn't fit proper or jive with the ECM creating issues.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the Valve cover gasket was a Fel-Pro packaged set, I bought from Amazon. Its the one gasket that I didnt buy Subaru OEM. The reviews here seem good for Fel-Pro and I thought why not try. I'm picking up a Set of Subaru gaskets and spark plug tube seals from local dealer who discounts , $42.39 for set. The shop that did the work let me buy all the parts for the rebuild.

The FelPro set was $24 and when I was buying all the parts for the rebuild, I thought, I could save the $20.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do not need to remove the fuel rail. You do need to jack the engine up just a bit to get the rear lower bolt out and to ease the removal of the cover.

I would think that the gasket is partially rolled, or has a blem spot. You sure he used FelPro and not some crap from Auto Zone? Just because the invoice says Fel Pro, doesn't mean that's what he used, but this is just me as I recall several hundred cars that come in with invoices for parts that say one brand and some crap brand was installed that doesn't fit proper or jive with the ECM creating issues.
Cardoc, for lifting a couple inches, do any coolant lines need to be removed, or the exhaust manifold nuts? I am hoping just the engine mount nuts.

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
Cardoc, for lifting a couple inches, do any coolant lines need to be removed, or the exhaust manifold nuts? I am hoping just the engine mount nuts.
Just the mount. You don't have to go up very high, just enough to get a 1/4" drive short socket on the bolt or a ratcheting wrench, then pull the cover down.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
953 Posts
If you are careful, you can remove and replace the valve cover gasket without taking the valve cover off. I did that although not by choice but by necessity and ignorance. After removing the bolts, I could not for the life of me take the cover out of the engine bay so I simply removed the gasket and put the new gasket in with the cover still trapped in there. I did not know that you needed to lift the engine to get the cover off. That was over 2 years ago and 30,000 miles and it's held up fine ever since.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
If you are careful, you can remove and replace the valve cover gasket without taking the valve cover off. I did that although not by choice but by necessity and ignorance. After removing the bolts, I could not for the life of me take the cover out of the engine bay so I simply removed the gasket and put the new gasket in with the cover still trapped in there. I did not know that you needed to lift the engine to get the cover off. That was over 2 years ago and 30,000 miles and it's held up fine ever since.
Can you replace spark plug tube gaskets this way?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Same on the 08 OBS. Did not remove the covers, but was able to replace the gaskets without issue. The key here is to make sure there is no dirt or grit around the covers that can fall inside. Hence clean up the outside well, blow with compressed air as needed and also use some brake cleaner if you have to. Once satisfied there is no debris, install the gaskets and button back up.

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
That's determination to get the job done. :claphead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts