Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0L 140k miles
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the forums and would like to ask about the longevity of the 08 Outbacks.

Have been going through some expensive fixes lately, curious as to what the common problems are for the long term.

First, some background. This is my wife's car (what's yours is mine, dear) and it's an 08 LL Bean 3.0L Auto with about 140k miles. Serpentine belt replaced at 75k, spark plugs replaced around 90k, regular oil changes, new front axles/boots at 110k, new brakes when needed, cleaned the throttle body at 120k (see pics), 4 new wheel bearings at 125k (RIP wallet), and fixed exhaust leaks (flex and split pipes).

Interior is mint. Drives great still. We would like to drive the car for as long as possible, but don't know what problems might come up next.

A few concerns:

1. The windows creak/clank while going up and down. Might need to take apart the door trim and lube up some key areas. Looking for some input on this.
  2. There is a slight rattling noise from the engine compartment at around 30-40mph. Seems to be random and sounds like a timing chain rattle, but it's very brief. Lasts for one second. Happens only when the engine is not at max operating temperature. Hoping it is just a rattle from debris in the heat shield. How do the timing chains hold up on the 3.0L engines?
  3. When under very light acceleration, the car feels like it hesitates (emphasis on a very light hesitation). It will hesitate at random and it feels like random cylinders are not firing properly. Again, this only happens when I have the gas pedal in just enough for the car to accelerate. Give it just a bit more juice and it accelerates fine with no hesitation felt. Also, I believe this only happens before the car reaches max operating temperature. I'm not letting this bother me because the car has high miles and this only happens before it is warmed up, but previous high mileage vehicles we have owned did not do this. Something I am watching for now, though. Could be spark plugs?
  4. Suspension. The shocks have never been replaced, though they still feel fine. No clunks. Feels firm, but not super harsh. Are we way outside the change interval? Is this a hard task to do?
  5. Any other preventative maintenance we should look in to? Transmission fluid change? Flush any other fluids?
Sorry for the long read, any help to keep this car running a long time would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
subaru OEM struts = KYB

these can last a long time if the car stays on pavement and away from pot holes, wait until you hear clunking or see dirty water where you park on a dry day. (not hard to change with some borrowed spring compressors, even easier with a lift).

no reason to swap springs for new ones unless one is physically damaged or rusted to death or has 240,000 miles on them. (OEM is the only maker)

timing chain maint. something typed about here around 180,000 miles on a few EZ30 but not all. one needs to verify the tapping is coming from inside the timing chain cover.

trans fluid change = subaru HP ATF. well past due if never done.

coolant is probably subaru super blue, 11 years on the first interval, and you are there. (swap in a new OEM thermostat with the coolant)

a little hesitation: PCV valve. (swap in a new OEM one, subaru does not list a interval on these but should as it augments or causes many little nag problems, for something that is a wear part).

_______

what plugs are in there? (these take NGK Iridium,...and hate other things).

here is a basic maint. schedule (notice the H6 vs. the H4 schedule)

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
and deleted the duplicate of this thread,

and the initial post under the XT introduce yourself.

(XT= turbo,...and you have the trouble free 3.0).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts