Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about attempting a catalytic converter replacement. Does anyone know how labor intensive it is, or if it's best to have a mechanic do it?

Some history on the question:

My 2008 with 163K miles on it has one of the dreaded check engine codes (I don't have it handy) that point to a catalytic converter replacement. I have physically examined the area and the converter is pretty rusted and making a hissing sound. My dealer said that it's also most likely not just a sensor because generally there's more than one check engine code displayed when one or both of the O2 sensors are bad. I have also had my ECU flashed by the dealer to make sure it wasn't that either.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm thinking about attempting a catalytic converter replacement. Does anyone know how labor intensive it is, or if it's best to have a mechanic do it?

Some history on the question:

My 2008 with 163K miles on it has one of the dreaded check engine codes (I don't have it handy) that point to a catalytic converter replacement. I have physically examined the area and the converter is pretty rusted and making a hissing sound. My dealer said that it's also most likely not just a sensor because generally there's more than one check engine code displayed when one or both of the O2 sensors are bad. I have also had my ECU flashed by the dealer to make sure it wasn't that either.

Thanks in advance! :)
#1 make sure the Y pipe right at the "Y" is not cracked I hit a chunk of ice that fell off a truck that cracked mine. 5yrs later the front Cat had ingested enough road grime it had had enough. Took me about 45 minutes to replace the Ypipe with a stock one bought online brand new for $200. Dealer wanted $1000 for it!

I had a local ma and pa muffler shop cut out the old CAT and weld in a new one $150 Dealer wanted $800 for the bolt in stock CAT.

I replaced the front 02 sensor with the stock one bought online subaruparts source - $190 Dealer wanted $300 for that.

All my error codes went away and I drove the car another 50K and sold it with zero issues.

I recall the dealer wanted $2000 for what cost me less than $700 and was super easy to do.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
It's important to know the actual code- if it's the P0420 there are things to do (some mentioned above_ before replacing the cat.

If it is something else and not the cat, you'll just get the code again, only change is you'll be a good bit poorer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
freeheeler
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing