Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the jack points people use for the 2008? I have been using the the rear control arm bushing point in the front , and for the rear the trailing arm.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I usually jack it up from the side sill jack points and then put stands at the locations you named.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
what are the jack points people use for the 2008? I have been using the the rear control arm bushing point in the front , and for the rear the trailing arm.
I do the very same. Sometimes, I use the little subframe tie in the rear right in front of the trailing arm.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually jack it up from the side sill jack points and then put stands at the locations you named.
when ever Ive tried jacking a car by the side sills the sheet metal always deforms, I never liked to do this with a floor jack.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
when ever Ive tried jacking a car by the side sills the sheet metal always deforms, I never liked to do this with a floor jack.
I keep a hockey puck on the saddle of my floor jack. It gets cut up by the sill edges, but not too badly. Never seen the car's metal move.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
I keep a hockey puck on the saddle of my floor jack. It gets cut up by the sill edges, but not too badly. Never seen the car's metal move.
I'm a woodworker and I use a 12/4 piece of mountain ash with a groove cut into it for the pinch weld to sit in. Weight is actually sitting on the sheet metal next to the pinch weld, not the extreme bottom of the weld itself.

Important thing is to use something that doesn't split under pressure.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'm a woodworker and I use a 12/4
I'm not a woodworker. What's that in kilovolt-grams or hogsheads or TEUs or some other common form of measure?

TV geek. If I can't measure it with a lightmeter, voltmeter, waveform monitor, VU/PPM, vectorscope or nielsen ratings...

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
103 Posts
I have a 2005, but I use the front crossmemeber and rear differential for my floor jack. I never found a good place for the jack stands, so I use the pinch welds which works ok.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,359 Posts
I'm not a woodworker. What's that in kilovolt-grams or hogsheads or TEUs or some other common form of measure?.
Fair enough. That's about 3" thick or 7.5 cm for ROW. Point is to use a strong, resilient material, e.g.not pine.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
Why not use the rear diff and the front jack up plate locales? The jack stands where you mentioned or somewhere flat with heft to it (not on the arms).

Pro-tip: before crawling underneath, I give the car a shove from the side to be sure the stands are secure. Safety forst!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Why not use the rear diff and the front jack up plate locales? The jack stands where you mentioned or somewhere flat with heft to it (not data from the arms).

Pro-tip: before crawling underneath, I give the car a shove from the side to be sure the stands are secure. Safety forst!
I used to use the diff, but you are basically lifting the entire car by putting the stress on (4) rubber bushings. The last time I did this on a Gen3 (not mine) once in the air, we witnessed a cracked diff cradle bushing and goo leaking out of it. Not sure I cracked, but lifting the car by the cradle didn't help.

The only car I jack under the cradle now is Frankie and she has the Beatrush cradle with solid poly bushings. I also have the rear diff inserts in that car. If I would have jacked up @Karl Bittner 's car so we could do the gas tank...those rear bushings would have torn right out of the car.

BTW KB, you need diff inserts really bad, especially with the heavy clutch and all the extra weight.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Outback 2.5i
17 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'm looking to lift my 2005 Outback 2.5i in the next day or two for the first time since buying it this month. I too have always used the sheetmetal to lift and even placed stands right next to them (for better or for worse), but always thought there were better ways even though I never put in the effort or time to find them! I should probably invest in a better jack as well, though.

+1 for always giving a shove too! A friend's father was killed by a falling car. Parts fail, and it's easy to forget this can happen when working the your car becomes old hat.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I use the subframe on the front and the trailer hitch on the rear of my 2012 Outback.

Then jack stands on outer sections of the trailer hitch and the A frames on the front.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
I used to use the diff, but you are basically lifting the entire car by putting the stress on (4) rubber bushings. The last time I did this on a Gen3 (not mine) once in the air, we witnessed a cracked diff cradle bushing and goo leaking out of it.
Fair enough. I was going to say the manuals list it as a point, but I suppose failing bushings = $$$$$$!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts