Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 OBXT 5MT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current photo:

After several months of searching, I found my low mileage manual unicorn over 1,000 miles and two states away in August 2020, and it happened to be a rare turbo. I finally took possession of my wagon with only 76k miles and bone stock in September (a long crazy story, will share in another post).

Once I took possession I found out that the desert climate had taken more of a toll than the pictures showed in the ad. Have had to rebuild almost all of the suspension and rubber bits and the wagon is currently in the shop for paint because the clear coat blew once the cold weather hit. Also, much of the maintenance like the timing belt had been done wrong.

In this post are some progress shots, and will document more of the progress so far in the following posts. I seriously can't wait to get it back from paint and get the goodies that have been stacking up in my place put on and in her.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
'08 OBXT 5MT Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Current photo:

The first thing I did after taking it into my local shop (shout out to Tier 1 in Liberty Lake, WA) for a tune-up and to make sure everything was okay was to get Falken Wildpeaks and powder coat the peeling and slightly beat-up stock wheels. It came on the original tires from 2008 that had some dry rot.

For me, this is a Goldilocks setup. The bulk of the time she is on the pavement as my daily and I have fun spooling the turbo on a curvy road. I also love to take it on forest service roads and see what I can do on the gravel. With this, I have the same gas mileage as before and avoid the excessive sidewall flex with a smaller wheel, while still being beefy enough to take on most offroading. Also, seriously impressed by how the Falkens do in bad weather and the absence of road noise.

Also have switched out the OEM flaps for Rally Armor. They really work well on keeping rocks off of my new paint.

In addition to the wheels and tires, went with OEM or slight upgrades on the suspension rebuild and lucked out with SpecB rotors and pads (so nice). For now keeping her at stock height until I finish the performance mods and dyno tune and see how that feels to drive. Also will for sure be picking up Whiteline sway bars and the like to tighten things up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts