Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 is driver seat is starting to show its 10 year age. See attached photos. Are there aftermarket seat covers that someone can recommend? I thought of sewing up with needle and thread, but I think that will be a band aid and it will tear. Other option is look for a seat back on ebay, but it will be 10 years old also.

Any suggestions? the car runs great, and other than this small wear, its in excellent cosmetic shape.

Attachments

Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
joe_pinehill,

I just did a repair for a friend on his driver's seat. Cheap, easy and he was thrilled.

I pulled the seat from the car (4 bolts and disconnecting of the wiring connectors under the seat) and took it to a car upholsterer. This uphosterer worked out of his home garage and was a one man operation. No materials were required, just his labour.

From your picture you can see how the side bolster foam has compressed/collapsed to leave extra material wrinkles. My friend's seat was the same. The upholsterer simply pulled the excess material towards the sewing seam so that the worn section was past the seam, and restitched it to the side section of the bolster. It looked good as new and will probably last for another 8 to 10 years. The seat was in and out of the shop the same day, and much cheaper than a used seat or even seat covers.

Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
joe_pinehill,

I just did a repair for a friend on his driver's seat. Cheap, easy and he was thrilled.

I pulled the seat from the car (4 bolts and disconnecting of the wiring connectors under the seat) and took it to a car upholsterer. This uphosterer worked out of his home garage and was a one man operation. No materials were required, just his labour.

From your picture you can see how the side bolster foam has compressed/collapsed to leave extra material wrinkles. My friend's seat was the same. The upholsterer simply pulled the excess material towards the sewing seam so that the worn section was past the seam, and restitched it to the side section of the bolster. It looked good as new and will probably last for another 8 to 10 years. The seat was in and out of the shop the same day, and much cheaper than a used seat or even seat covers.

Thanks, any extra precautions for the side airbag? Its funny I never thought of getting a price from an auto upholstery shop. We have one in our town also.

Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
Joe_pinehill,

Yes! Disconnect the battery before you start removing the seat, to prevent any short circuits, and to give the capacitors time to discharge (10 to 20 minutes), so the airbag won't blow up in your face.

The wiring connectors for the power seat motors, the seat belt warning, the seat heater, the air pump lumbar support (if so equipped) all need to be disconnected. The airbag connector will be YELLOW. It will have a small red lock piece that has to be removed FIRST, before you try to disconnect the yellow connectors.

That's it. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts