Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I own a 2008 Outback 2.5XT and I recently seized the engine. The pistons exploded and as a result the current engine block and cylinders are unusable. The entire current short block is filled with metal shards, oil, and fluids. The car had about 108K miles on it before I blew it out. I'm left with the decision of either throwing in a new EJ255 block and cylinders (maybe $6k parts and labor), buying a used EJ255 engine (built) and swapping it ($4k parts/labor), or doing a STI swap ($_______ not sure?). Any and all suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Buy a rebuilt short block from Subaru (~$2K) and send the heads out for refurbishment ($500-$1000). Put new timing stuff/head gaskets on it and be good for another 100k miles. Used engines can be a crap shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! This was my first plan of action and the route that I intended on pursuing before posting here. The only problem is that both cylinder heads are blown out (have pistons damaged/exploded in them). Getting a new short block (~$2k), 2 new cylinder heads (~$1.4k), sealing, timing stuff, etc. plus labor is gonna bring me to around a $5-6k fix. Is this a standard number for this type of rebuild (on a turbo engine)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts