Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I own a 2008 Outback 2.5XT and I recently seized the engine. The pistons exploded and as a result the current engine block and cylinders are unusable. The entire current short block is filled with metal shards, oil, and fluids. The car had about 108K miles on it before I blew it out. My guess is that my oil pickup failed, I had a leak and ran dry, or an injector failed.

I'm left with the decision of either throwing in a new Subaru short block and 2x cylinders (quoted $7.2k parts and labor), buying a used engine and swapping it ($4k parts/labor), or any other options. Any and all suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
Hey all, I own a 2008 Outback 2.5XT and I recently seized the engine. The pistons exploded and as a result the current engine block and cylinders are unusable. The entire current short block is filled with metal shards, oil, and fluids. The car had about 108K miles on it before I blew it out. My guess is that my oil pickup failed, I had a leak and ran dry, or an injector failed.

I'm left with the decision of either throwing in a new Subaru short block and 2x cylinders (quoted $7.2k parts and labor), buying a used engine and swapping it ($4k parts/labor), or any other options. Any and all suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
If I were you, I'd first consider the condition of the rest of the car. If it's worth keeping, I'd get a short block and aftermarket turbo and do the work myself, maybe consider some upgrades for performance and make it a fun car.

If I weren't able to do the work myself, or the car isn't worth keeping, I'd cut my losses and sell it as is for a grand or two. That $4k plus $2k you get for your existing car = $5-$6k towards your next car.

EDIT: Are the heads ok ? If the pistons bounced things around the valves etc could be knackered. heck, on a stock EJ255 the valves could be burned a bit already, so you may need to recondition or replace them ... which increases the cost of the work and changes your calculations.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
are there JDM versions of that engine?

if , as said above, the rest of the car is in good shape and will continue to meet your needs for the future, drop in a used engine.

Consider a KillerB oil pickup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts