Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Executive Automatic c/w- Manual 4 speed sport shift
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 Outback. Not sure about the Gen 2 prefix though - I only selected this seeing as I think this is what it may be. About a fortnight ago I went shopping, jumped out of the car went to lock the car with the remote fob only to find that the car wouldn't lock. First thing I thought of was that the battery in the fob had gone flat. So, I manually locked the car from the inside with the interior door lock and the drivers side door with the key. When I returned to the car later I manually unlocked the car, loaded up the shopping, jumped into the drivers seat, put the key into the ignition and turned the engine on. I then realised that I had no external temp display, no clock display and no radio/cd/aux usage. I also noticed that when I drive off without my seatbelt connected and go over 20km/h that the audible seatbelt alert and flashing display do not work. If a door on the car is open, that also does not show/work. I can however still use the air-con controls. Electric windows work fine. I've checked all the fuses near the steering wheel and they all seem to be in tact. Couldn't see any broken/burned out fuse(s).
Has anyone had this problem before and if so, how did they rectify it?
Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I don't have full documentation for that car, but believe in the engine compartment fuse box, could be blown. It could be fuse #8 or fuse #9, and would be 20 Amps. If you have the Owners Manual, in Section 12, Specifications, there's a list of the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. The relevant fuse is probably identified with the word "backup" or "back-up". It powers all the functions that you identified as not working.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Executive Automatic c/w- Manual 4 speed sport shift
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Plain OM, hope you're well and staying safe. Thank you for the tip/info. will check it out. I read on another Forum somewhere where someone had mentioned that it was a common problem amongst that vintage on Outbacks and that it was a bad solder join on the radio head unit and that the whole unit had to be replaced and getting a replacement unit is near enough impossible unless you get Subaru to make you one in their factory and they would charge a small fortune. Thanks again, will let you know if that solved the problem. BTW, I've been to Canada about 4 times - you're a lucky person, fantastic country and people. And some great winieries as well.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
447 Posts
In the US, our 3rd generation cars from 2005-2009 have the combined stereo/heat/air-con control panel which is known to go intermittently or permanently blank. If you haven't ever taken it apart, the panel with the buttons & displays separates from the radio unit.

When the panel is in place there are metal spring tabs that make electrical ground/earth contact with the radio chassis. Those tabs may weaken or develop a little spot of corrosion where they contact the radio chassis, so a common fix is to sand & polish the contact spots & to slightly bend the tabs to make better contact.

With the display panel removed, some people have separated the circuit board from the plastic bezel to locate cracked solder joints. Reflowing the solder is a good fix in those cases. Both of these methods are described in this thread & other threads on here.

Having said all that, your sudden onset of numerous symptoms sounds more like a fuse as @plain OM suggested. Sometimes, seemingly unrelated systems like the remote lock module & the radio/heat panel & the clock/temp unit turn out to share a fuse.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
it was a bad solder join on the radio head unit
That problem, in the radio head unit, causes the radio and climate control settings to stop working. It is unique to the combined 6 CD changer stereo and automatic HVAC, i.e., where the temperature is set on a display and the system takes over from there. (Other models have a single CD player and manual HVAC.) However, even when that stereo/HVAC problem arises, it does not affect the ability to lock and unlock the doors using the remote control fob, nor does it affect the multi-information display (clock, fuel consumption, outside temperature . . .). Rather, the absence of remote lock/unlock, along with the other symptoms, is typically because the "backup" fuse powers the keyless entry receiver, so when it's blown, the fob has no effect, yet all other door locking and unlocking (e.g., with the switch on the driver door) still works.

Start with checking that fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts