Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Outback with 38K miles on it. Have noticed that on occasion when making a turn it seems like the transmission slips. Never does it any other time. Just with a low speed turn (like driving around on side streets). Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? No leaks, fluid seems fine.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,122 Posts
automatic?

can you turn tight circles on dry pavement at idle (maybe some slight gas pedal) with no jerking or bucking?

when you notice this problem, is there any noise or jerking/bucking?

check engine light on?

·
Registered
1999 Outback Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, sorry. Auto trans. No noise or CEL. I would need to do the circle test and let you know. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
18,723 Posts
Is the car new to you, or have you had it for a long time and this "slipping" symptom is something new?

Does the symptom appear particularly when you suddenly re-apply throttle after slowing into the turn?

There have been reports of the transmission "hunting" momentarily in some circumstances, such as turning. It seems to happen if, just after releasing the accelerator, it's advanced again. As the car slows, the tranny normally downshifts in stages, both to make use of engine braking and to make sure the transmission is in the most suitable gear for that speed. If it's caught just at a switching point when the accelerator is pressed, it might hesitate as it "decides" which gear to use. There's no unusual revving of the engine; just a sort of pause. (The appearance of "slipping" might be sensed because during shifts, which normally take afraction of a second, the electronic engine control actually cuts the throttle to reduce the potential for shift shock and stress on the drive train. So there's a sense of loss of "power".)

This phenomenon has been reported here before, and I've experienced it on my 07 as well early on.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
^ +1 On my 2000 even after changing the axles, trans fluid and checking for torque bind I thought the trans was slipping. But it was just the hunting mentioned by plain OM above.

Hope for that.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Legacy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the car new to you, or have you had it for a long time and this "slipping" symptom is something new?

Does the symptom appear particularly when you suddenly re-apply throttle after slowing into the turn?

There have been reports of the transmission "hunting" momentarily in some circumstances, such as turning. It seems to happen if, just after releasing the accelerator, it's advanced again. As the car slows, the tranny normally downshifts in stages, both to make use of engine braking and to make sure the transmission is in the most suitable gear for that speed. If it's caught just at a switching point when the accelerator is pressed, it might hesitate as it "decides" which gear to use. There's no unusual revving of the engine; just a sort of pause. (The appearance of "slipping" might be sensed because during shifts, which normally take afraction of a second, the electronic engine control actually cuts the throttle to reduce the potential for shift shock and stress on the drive train. So there's a sense of loss of "power".)

This phenomenon has been reported here before, and I've experienced it on my 07 as well early on.
Wow! This does sound like what I am seeing/feeling.. This is my wife's car which we purchased used 2 years ago with 14k on the clock. She is the primary driver. But I have noticed it for a while but it never seemed to be really bad enough for me to really start digging into. When it does happen it is during a turn after lifting off the accelerator. Aside from that the car runs like a champ.

Thank you very much for that reply. :29:

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
You should verify you don't have torque bind with the previous mentioned test of low speed circling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts