Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Likely wires are cut at the junction between the body and the hatch. Pull back the rubber on the right side, top of the hatch opening and inspect the wires. More than likely you have a cut wire from opening and closing the hatch, they ALL do it.

If that does not solve it, I take it you played with the actual latch white plastic lever? Is it stiff or does it move freely? If there is resistance, it is not broken and I'm not sure where the problem is. If it moves freely, then you need to break out a screwdriver and play with the latch until you can open it. When you have it appart, you'll see its a simple device.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Agreed, it is most likely the wires in the tailgate boot. This is becoming an endimic problem with the '05-'09 models. The wires become brittle with time and the twisting motion of the wires cause them to break, sometimes without actually breaking the insulation.

I would treat every wire in both boots as suspect. They can be repaired or replaced entirely. However, the wire harness can be spendy depending on your model. Repair can be done easily in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Crap, I didn't realize that photocrudbucket has killed the links to my photos. I'll have to see if I can get them reloaded.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
876 Posts
Wait, a rear door or the hatch?

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Crap, I didn't realize that photocrudbucket has killed the links to my photos. I'll have to see if I can get them reloaded.
Unfortunately, our ability to edit posts expires after, I think, 30 days. At present, there's no way to go back and replace all those photos. (Me too: see http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ues/429217-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting.html )

And yes, in this case, is the OP referring to the rear gate (hatch) door lock, or a side door? Wording is unclear, as is reference to the door not opening with the fob or switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts