Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Outback 2.5 and when driving anywhere from 35 MPH and up and hit a bump like pot hole or bump on a bridge the steering wheel shakes. Its been getting worse for the last year or so but it is like the car is going where it wants to for a second or two then it quits shaking and all is normal. The tires are less than a year old and front end is properly aligned it is just scary when i hit bumps now what could be wrong with it?

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Are they small shakes that quickly disappear? Any shakes while steering?

It could be a power steering issue, but the speed dependency makes me think it isn't. Check fluid levels, look for bubbling in reservoir while car is idling. Turn the car on, leave it in park and try turning the wheel, do you get the same shakes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shakes are like the steering wheel is bouncing side to side like a ball for an inch or two and its got a mind of its own for a second or two after hitting a bump. I have no shakes at all until i get up to speed on the road. Pot holes are bad around here this time of year after all the cold weather and snow so I have more bumps now than ever.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
inner tie rods, LCA rear bushings, rack bushings....you need an experienced mechanic to check the front end - if possible, take then for a ride and demonstrate the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts