Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i (base version)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
On a 2008 2.5 Outback w/105k I am going to replace my two front hubs, wheel nuts, and two front lower ball joints… I am ordering the parts. I wondered if there were any other items (is there an upper ball joint.. I could not find one) to consider replacing while in there and ordering.. and swaping out..

I was gonna pick NSK bearings if anyone has a diff recommendation

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
16,564 Posts
Are your struts weak or leaking?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i manual
455 Posts
No upper ball joints as it is a MacPherson strut design. That said, the strut mount has a bearing on it that wears out. But, I wouldn't replace that unless you're planning on replacing the struts - best to do those at the same time.

Before ordering anything else, take a quick peek at the LCA bushings and the tie rod ends (and inner tie rod boots). Would be a little easier to replace those items while you're already in there.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
1,034 Posts
When removing the stabilizer link on the LCA, a through hole socket wrench helps a lot. Along with an additional jack to unload the suspension and bring it close to horizontal.

The LCA rear bushings do get worn and can tear.

Replacing them is not too difficult and it would be a good time to check the bushings on the stabilizer bar. If old, they can creak and they're only $10-$20 to replace. I replaced the control arms, end links and bushings in one fell swoop 5 years ago. I replaced the hubs/bearings this past fall when they started grumbling. It was a quick 1.5 hour job. This spring the rear bearings started growling but I could not remove the rear hub nor axles to save my life and had to take it to a shop to have them pressed out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts