Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when trying to start the engine, all I get are clicking sounds. My husband thought maybe the battery was dead so he replaced the five year old battery with a brand new one. The problem didn't go away. Next we thought possibly that the alarm system was freaking out so we programmed it off, still no joy. Next we thought maybe the immobilizer was not getting a signal since they key batteries were original, so I bought a new battery for my key, still does not work. Next we tested the key inserted into the ignition and opened the door to be sure the system found the key inserted...doors chimed so that isn't it.
My husband says he'll look for any obvious signs that the wires to the starter are corroded or broken and check for obvious signs that the starter is bad.
One note, there were several error codes lit up on the dshboard once the car finally starts, should I go have these read or are they possibly false codes due to lack of voltage to the starter? Thanks all.....

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
It's either the battery, the cables to the battery/ground or the starter. Battery can be bench tested pretty easily by any part store. I would start there, as right around 5 years is when they head south usually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.